Christmas Day

-Rainbow Dash POV-

I grogley woke up. It was a few seconds till I realized, "It's Christmas!" I looked around and saw that I was the only one in the room. This was the first time I woke up last.

Sunset came in the room wearing a green and red sweater. "Merry Christmas Rainbow!" 

"Merry Christmas! Where'd you get that?" I asked pointing at her sweater. 

She looked down at it then blushed. "Mom got it. And also, I sent a letter to your parents. I told them to mark the presents with an actual Rainbow rather then your name so that others won't claim them after they see it's addressed to you."

“Good thinking!” I said and we walked out. I took a look at the clock and saw it was 8:30. I think this is the latest anyone slept in on Christmas.

When we got down to the common room, no one was there. I breathed a sigh of relief and saw that there were a few unmarked rainbow wrapped presents. Sunset pulled them out for me and watched as I unwrapped them.

I got a magenta sweater and new guitar strings. But the last gift confused me.

    I read the note first out loud.

"Mis Dash,

This was held onto by the ministry for generations and we found that it rightfully belongs to you. Hope you use it well.

The Ministry of Magic"

I looked at Sunset but she just shrugged. "Open it!"

I unwrapped it to find a long thin box. After opening that I found that it was a broom. "Is this a prank?" I asked taking it out.

Sunset gasped upon seeing it. She took a closer look at the handel and pointed to a carving. "This isn't a joke."

Rainbow looked and saw that it read 'Nimbus 1500.' "What is this?" She asked. 

"That's a Nimbus 1500. If this is generations old, than it was the fastest broom in the world at the time." 

Rainbow looked at the broom with a new respect. "Aren't first years not supposed to have their own brooms? Plus, I'm Muggleborn. How can this belong to me?"

Sunset paused thinking. "Maybe there's something in your family history that was hidden from the non magic world? What do you know about your ancestors?"

"Not a lot past my grandparents. Though sometimes Grandma would talk about her Great grandmother. Great great great grandmother was convinced that her grandma was a wi-ii," my face showed immediate realization. "i t- ch."

We looked at each other with wide eyes. “You don’t think…” Sunset started.

“I don’t need to read your mind to know what you’re thinking and it’s very likely. If two Muggles can give birth to a Witch or Wizard, can two magical people have a non magical offspring?”

Sunset nodded. “It’s called a Squib. Someone who’s born of magical parents, but doesn’t have any magical ability themselves. Maybe your grandma’s great grandmother's mom was a squib, while her grandma was an actual witch!”

“Then how would I get the broom? Wouldn’t it be sold or given to some distant relative that actually knows how the wizarding word works?”

“There’s a few options for that to happen,” Sunset said scooting closer to me. “Either your Squib grandparent was the only child of her parents, or she wrote it in her will to only be given to the first person in her descent with magical abilities. Anyone with any amount of magical blood in them can eventually learn to ride a broom so it was probably very special to her and only wanted someone of her decent to have it, writing the magical abilities part to keep the Magical Society a secret. We take the wills of the dead very seriously. No matter the case, you have a broom now; and a really good one at that. This is something any other first year would kill for.”