Chapter 6

"Mom?" I shout as I step into the house, closing the front door behind me. "You home?" I don't remember seeing the car out front, so she probably went out. I suppose that's not the worst thing at the moment seeing as we can delay fighting for a little while longer. However, I was ready to get it done and over with. I guess now I have a little more time to think over the situation before I say something I'll regret.

I already know she's going to yell at me for dumping her alcohol, I'm not at all worried about that. I'll sit there and quietly listen while she lets out all of her frustration.

It's when she mentions Ian that I know I'm going to lose it. We've already had this conversation way too many times, but no matter what we always find ourselves right back where we started, pitted against each other.

I'm tired of constantly fighting over him. When we moved I was finally happy, something that I haven't been in a very long time. Once we were settled down and completely moved into the new house it was like a weight was lifted off of my shoulders and I was able to breathe again. And then he called to work his magic and just like every other time he's come stumbling back, my mom trips right into his trap.

I know it's not entirely her fault, you can't help who you love. As much as I hate him, he's my biological father and the love of my mom's life. Unfortunately for the two of us, she fell for a complete jackass and there's nothing I can do but deal with it.

After coming to the conclusion that I'm home alone, I make my way up to my room to start on tonight's homework. While more advanced classes seem to include a lot more work, I actually don't mind because I'm being challenged for once.

When I finish up the little bit of homework I had left, I contemplate calling Payson but decide against it. She was obviously upset and I don't want to push myself onto her. If she doesn't want to talk then I'm going to respect that. When and if she's ready, I'll be here. Until then, I'm going to keep my distance.

With my phone in clutch, I make my way down the steps and out of the house. Seeing as it's just going to be me eating dinner again tonight, I don't feel like cooking for one. Instead, I decide to make my way to a small diner I passed walking through town yesterday. It's not to far away and the walk is peaceful.

The diner itself is small, but cozy and the atmosphere is welcoming. I take a seat at a small booth in the back,

"Afternoon and welcome to Danny's Diner, what can I get you to drink?" The waiter asks. The tag on his shirt reveals that his name is Jason.

"Just a water, please?"

"Of course, I'll be right back to take your order." He offers me a smile as he lays the menu down in front of me before walking away.

There are plenty of choices to choose from, but the majority of the menu consisted of 50 different burgers and 33 flavors of pie. I counted. Once I've decided on my meal, I look up just in time to catch two figure walking in my direction. I watch them as they slide into the booth across from me before rolling my eyes.

"The cherry pie is to die for." Derek says, catching my attention with a breathtaking smile.

"Don't let him lie to you, the peach pie is the way to go." Garrett counters.

"Nobody likes peach pie, Garrett. It's literally the worst flavor in the history of pie flavors."

"Coming from the guy who likes cherry pie."

"Everyone loves cherry pie."

They simultaneously look to me, each waiting for my help with hopeful expressions.