I'M ACTUALLY POSTING A FANFIC FOR ONCE?!??!

Start from the beginning

My heart beat at what felt like a hundred miles per hour as all I could mutter was a breathless "Hi...".
She stood up straight and dusted off her skirt smiling as she did. "Hi, thanks for stopping. You wouldn't believe how many people I've passed that didn't even bother to ask if I needed help!" ...she doesn't recognise me..?
"Oh I forgot to introduce myself! I'm Kaede Akamatsu. I'm staying in dorm 58 so if you could it would be great if you could help me move this piano into my room." ...This can't be real.

I watched Kaede die right in front of me and now by some miracle she's here at the exact same college as me and she only lives just down the hall from me. Not to mention the fact that she doesn't recognise me at all.
"Um... this is the part where you introduce yourself..." Kaede mentions as she glances awkwardly to the side. I suddenly bounce back to reality, only now realising that I've probably been staring off into space for much longer than is considered appropriate.
"Oh ah sorry, my name is Shuichi Saihara...I guess we're going to be neighbours..." I managed to stutter out.
Kaede smiled brightly just like she used to and nodded.
"So lets get to work!"

For the first time in forever me and Kaede worked together. It was a familiar and yet unfamiliar process. Kaede was the same and different at the same time, not a bad different thought just... different... I can't really describe it.
We talked as we lugged the grand piano down the hall which turned into a much more time consuming task than I thought it would be. When she spoke she felt more... real.

Before she felt like a leader. Like the type of person everyone aspired to be but could never achieve.
Now she felt like someone who could actually exist, a kind girl who had faults and goals that could be achieved by the average person. She was herself. The real Kaede Akamatsu not the artificial 'protagonist' archetype that Team Danganronpa created.

After I left her dorm once we had finished moving the piano it was 8pm, I went back to my own dorm only to realise I hadn't started any of my unpacking, I groaned but managed to complete the task quickly, mostly due to the fact that I didn't have many belongings in the first place.
Before I knew it I was so tired from the day I just collapsed on the bed and thought about the unbelievable scenario that had just occurred until my brain could no longer process and I fell into a deep sleep.

After that I found myself bumping into Kaede at every corner so it wasn't long until we had grown even closer than we were in that horrible game. I tried to explain to her once or twice about how we had met before but it was to no avail but honestly as time went on I began to forget about the killing game and with the help of Kaede I began to truly move on with my life.

.
.
.

It has just turned winter and with Christmas coming up there was lots of work to do in the few weeks off we had to celebrate the festivities. I looked out the frosted windows of my dorm out into the cold streets, it's not exactly the perfect day for getting Christmas presents but it'll have to do.

I prepared a quick breakfast which merely consisted of cereal because despite living by myself for quite a while cooking was yet to be a skill of mine. Then I put on my coat, scarf and hat to try to stop me from freezing out in the cold morning air. I stepped out into the hallway and locked my door only to hear someone calling my name.
"Shuichi, good morning!" Kaede giggled as she ran up to me.
I smiled and replied "Morning Kaede, I was just going out to do some Christmas shopping."
"Sounds fun! Mind if I join you? I was planning on baking some gingerbread to get in the festive spirit but I ran out of ingredients so I need to pop to the shops anyway" Kaede said adjusting her woolly hat. I'd never tell her but today in her winter coat she looked cuter than usual, not that she doesn't always look cute but today I found myself blushing more than usual and it wasn't because of the cold...

We walk out of the block of dorms and onto the campus. Kaede's oddly quiet. She gazes off at the sun just peaking over the buildings breathing in the cold air.
"It's a bit chilly today..." She says still avoiding eye contact.
"Chilly? It's freezing Kaede!" I joke whilst staring at her features trying to figure out the reason for her sudden change in attitude.
Before I can interrogate her further her hand intertwines with mine.
"I forgot my gloves." Kaede admits blushing looking me in the eyes rather intensely.
I chuckle and pull a pair of gloves that had been very blatantly stuffed into her pocket.
"You mean these gloves?"
Kaede puffs out her cheeks and does her classic puffy face.
"Hey that's not fair! I was trying to be all smooth and romantic!"
I blush deeper and let out a small giggle as Kaede squeezes my hand a bit tighter as we continue to walk.
"Is it true?... y'know the stuff about the killing game that you mentioned before"
I looked to the floor thinking about Kaede's question for a while and nod. Kaede thinks for a second humming as she thought.
"I know I don't remember it but I believe you and I'm sorry I left you for so long, I promise I'll make it up to you." Kaede smiled brightly at me and I knew she was being genuine.
"Thanks it means a lot but it not fault you well uh... y'know... in the game." I replied.
Kaede giggled quietly "I know but to make up for it I'm going to stick by your side for as long as you'll let me!"
I was slightly taken aback. "What do you mean?"
Kaede grabs my hat and runs ahead out of the school gates laughing as she ran. "You'll see! Now come catch me, we've got Christmas shopping to do!"
I smiled in content and sighed. As I ran after her I realised that it didn't matter if she remembered the killing game or not because she was here with me and that's where we both belonged and we'd both stay for as long as time allowed us.