Chapter 1

The breeze blows in the trees...

The thundering paws awoke Riptide. A wolf pack? He wondered as he looked outside the cave. Not a wolf pack, but his parents, Midnight and Star.

"What are you doing awake? Go to sleep!" Star screeched at Riptide before giving him a blow to his cheek. Riptide flinched before realizing the scrape on his cheek.

"Now go to sleep, unless you want to loose your vision!" Star yowled as she turned and kicked dust in Riptide's face. a small, blue and white shape padded out with sleepy eyes.

"River! Go back in the den, she'll hurt you!" Riptide whispered as he nudged River back into the cave.

"what happened to your cheek, Riptide? You only went to look!" River asked with a worried expression.

"It's nothing. Go to sleep. We'll talk in the morning." Riptide mewed as he curled up in his nest and went to sleep.

The next morning was like a nightmare.

"Wake up Riptide! For the last time, we're going hunting today!" a dark blue shape hung over him. It was his father, Midnight.

"Okay okay, dad. Can we bring River too?" Riptide asked.

"Yes. Sure whatever." Midnight mumbled.

Riptide got up and nudged River awake.

"River. We're going hunting." Riptide mewed. River stirred before getting up.

"This early? We never wake for hunting this early!" River protested.

"Well i guess today we are." Riptide muttered.

The three cats padded through the forest when they came upon a cluster of ferns.

"I smell mouse." River commented. Midnight flicked his tail for silence.

River dropped into a hunting crouch. He padded forward quietly and slowly - Until a small brown mouse came into view. He took another step - Then pounced.

The mouse quickly scurried out of the way and ran in between two rocks. River sighed.

"What did you do?! You lost the mouse?" Midnight screeched.

"Dad! He did nothing wrong! He tried, and that's what counts!" Riptide yowled.

Midnight whipped his head around. "You're weak! Both of you! You can't even fight without having to stop and lick your wounds, and now you're defending your WEAK brother, Who is too WEAK to catch a mouse!" Midnight screeched as he stormed off into the forest.