Chapter 9 - Rash Meddling

Start from the beginning

With one of them being a stubborn, arrogant, possessive and impatient Prince of Werewolves and the other being an equally arrogant, apparently emotionless and very naïve Royal assassin mate, it would take a lot of time for them to agree that they are totally head over heels in love with each other.

The day they started being lovely-dovey with each other, would be a sight for all sore eyes.

Prince Nikos finally, very reluctantly left the room by banging the door behind him.

Kyla had a ghost of a smile on her face at his angry exit.

I examined her mark which shone very clearly on her neck. It had an angry and painful look because it had not healed, but otherwise it didn’t seem to have any other problem.

That’s when I sniffed her scent. I can’t believe that I had not noticed it sooner. They had not mated yet. That did explain the Prince’s irrational and frustrated behavior.

I looked at Kyla fondly, with a look a mother hen gives to her chicks.

“You guys have not mated yet”, I stated softly.

Her cheeks got a soft pink tint and she nodded briefly.

I somehow understood her hesitation.

I, the girl who shivered at the mere mention of going near the assassin mate, understood her completely.

And pitied her.

I didn’t have a lot of girlfriends growing up, because I practically grew up in the palace, but at least I grew up in a normal environment. Even though I didn’t have heart-to-heart talks about boys and mates, I was brought up by parents who were still, very much in love with each other. I have heard gossips about couples getting together, couple fights and major mate dramas throughout my school life.

I cannot imagine how it must have been to live as the only female in an all-male pack for almost all of her life. Especially, a pack which believed in killing off their mates, because they thought that mates diminish your power.

I wish Kyla would actually discuss this with her mate. But knowing her, I don’t think that will ever happen anywhere in the near future.

What the prince needed to do at this stage was to wine and dine her, take her out on dates and give her a chance to properly understand and get comfortable with this. With him.

But who the heck could convince that impatient Prince to take it one step at a time with his mate?

I remembered a weird incident that happened with a couple when I was in high school. Somehow, I think that idea might just work in this situation.

A sly grin came over my face.

“Maybe because your wolf has not awoken yet, you do not feel any attraction towards the Prince”, I stated cunningly.

Kyla looked extremely guilty at my statement.

“Yes”, she replied loudly, like she was trying to convince herself that she was indeed not attracted towards him.

Emotionless face or not, anyone could see that she was lying through her teeth.

Clearly not. Because the next second, I heard the sound of a wall crack with someone punching their fist through it.

I suddenly got a very weird image of Prince Nikos with his ear on the bedroom door trying to listen to our conversation (Not that we need to do that, since we are werewolves). Apparently, I was the only one who felt the situation very hilarious, because I noticed that Kyla’s face had paled.

The bedroom door was opened roughly and it banged against the wall with the unnecessary force applied to it. Both of us jumped up to face towards a very furious Prince.

I applauded Kyla silently for her extremely calm and flat look she gave to the Prince. I on the other hand, started shivering at the angry power that was radiating in the room and started praying that the ground would swallow me up so that I did not have to face this weird situation.

Sure, they were my favorite couple.

And sure, I wanted to act as their love cupid.

But I had clearly not signed up for being in the same room as an angry royal werewolf.

The prince strode towards Kyla until she was just a few meters away from him. By then, I had slowly slinked to one corner of the room. She stood straight, not even flinching at his angry aura directed towards her.

 “I marked you because you are my mate. Do not draw any special meaning from it. My wolf seems interested in you for some unexplainable reason. I don’t see any kind of special features about you. I should know, I have been with a lot of girls”, Prince Nikos growled out in anger.

Wait. What nonsense is the Prince talking about? He managed to tell all the wrong things possible in one breath. Why is he not using his head?

Kyla’s face turned dark and her eyes flashed venom.

“As far as I remember you are one who kissed me first. You are the one who couldn’t control himself from marking me. I clearly don’t remember asking you for it”, the words from Kyla’s mouth was like a lash to the heart. For a second, Prince Nikos’ face flashed with anguish and then it was gone.

“I don’t remember you showing any kind of protest when you were devouring my face.” Prince Nikos moved dangerously close and I saw Kyla gulp visibly.

“I must be very good kisser then, to actually convince you that I was enjoying it. Besides, if I had protested would you have heard?”

“But you didn’t stop me, did you?” the Prince fired back.

(Yes, I am a silent spectator in this very stupid fight – which I clearly started.)

Both of them stood fuming at each other for a minute.

Kyla suddenly turned towards me, “Elsie, let’s go for breakfast. I am tired of being cooped up in this room.”

I jumped when the Prince turned towards me and growled menacingly as though I was the reason she was walking away from him.

Okay. I was. But not entirely.

It was my plan. A plan which had clearly taken a wrong turn right at the beginning.

I had not taken their stubborn, irrational characters into consideration. I just prayed that they would not start ignoring each other because of my rash meddling.

I walked disheartened behind Kyla as we exited the royal suite.

I turned behind.

Prince Nikos was walking behind us with a bad-tempered face. Even after the big fight, his desperate eyes were trained towards his mate, so that he would not lose sight of her.

I looked forward with a relieved sigh.

All was not lost.

My plan could still work.

..........................................................................................................................

Dear Readers,

Just wanted to clarify that Elsie's plan is not a very elaborate one, where she sets traps or does dangerous tasks. I happen to be a very big Agatha Christie fan and believe that certain situations which work out for some people, may bring same results if replicated for other people. Elsie also believed the same. But as mentioned, she did not take their very out-of-the-world characters into consideration. So please, just sit back and see if this actually works out.....