reunion

"What the hell are you doing here?" I asked, even surprised in the moment of how rude I was taking things.

"Excuse me?" Elle replied, seemingly confused.

For a split second I was beginning to question whether or not she even remembered me, our past, and everything that happened. Did that all—go away?

"Uh...I'm sorry," I continued, searching for a decent excuse in my head, "I've just been...uh...bleeding...lately." 

"What?"

I mentally facepalmed.

"Forget it." I blew off an annoying piece of hair that was in front of my face. "Let's go," I gestured for Evan and Roland to leave with me.

"Wait!" Elle stopped. "Can you lift your hair up again?"

"Why-"

"Just do it."

I did as she said and instantly saw her face light up. "Kacii Macias. We meet again."

"Hey babe, is this woman giving you trouble?" Roland interrupted, stepping in front of me. "Ma'am, we have no idea who this 'Kacii' bitch you're trying to find is, but my girlfriend Macey would appreciate it if you'd step away and mind your own business."

"Ah. Policing her. Smart move. And I noticed the name change too, is that right, Blue?" Elle winked seductively. 

I almost peed my pants.

Evan almost was about to step in before I restrained him. "Elle, I'm sure we can catch up later. But right now, I'd like to focus on getting home and doing my homework before my parents whoop my ass. I'd appreciate a call. Later."

"Still feisty. Sad that you choose to not talk to me, but I'll deal with it." 

Roland hurried me away, afraid that I was being threatened. "Baby! Who was that woman?" he said, once we reached his car.

"She was kinda hot," Evan interrupted.

"Shut up Evan!" I shouted. "She was...uh...an old coworker! Her mom gave me a job at her store freshman summer when I went to visit my brother in California." I was glad that I could come up with at least a half-truth.

"Why was she all kissy and intimate talking to you back there, though? It almost seemed like you two were exes or something," Evan jeered.

"Shut up!" Roland and I yelled at the same time.

"As long as you're safe babe." Roland leaned in for a kiss.

I was not really in the mood, but for the sake of preventing another mess, I faked it for the five seconds or so and suggested that we start heading home. 

The imprint that Elle left on me from that one summer was something that I've been trying to erase every day ever since boarding the plane back home. She did me so wrong—no one could ever match up to her again. Every single boy my parents set me up with, every single date I've had with only the city's top college men...all pointless. No one could be her. 

Just as Roland was pulling up to my driveway after he dropped Evan off just a few blocks away, he kissed me on the cheek and said, "Call me, 'kay?"

I nodded as he drove away with a smile on his face. 

Then I screamed.