Father & Son

He ran his finger gently over the light spot on his skin. It doesn't hurt like it did a few days ago, but it still didn't go away. The doctor was sure that this would stay forever - a scar on the stomach. Another small scar on the forearm.

Suddenly his room door is opened and Liam quickly rolled up his shirt again, making the scar invisible. Matt saw it anyway. And he knows Liam hasn't talked much lately. Neither with him, nor with Gabby, nor with anyone of 51. The boy disappeared to school early in the morning and didn't come home until late in the evening. Matt thought they'd settled everything and he'd accepted the apology, but somehow their relationship was on thin ice.

"Is everything okay?" Matt asked worried.

"Yes, everything is fine," Liam said. Matt immediately exposed his lie. Liam was anything but okay. Something was bothering the boy, or was he still suffering from the fire at 51.

"Really?" Matt asked. He sat down on Liam's bed and watched the very calm boy, "Talk to me Liam. You aren't well, I can see that."

"I'm fine," he said.

Matt shook his head in disbelief, "It's really incredible how much we resemble each other. I always say that too. Liam, please let me help you."

"I don't need help," Liam said.

"Sure?" Matt questioned his son's answer. "Having a scar can be cool," said Matt, "Many firefighters are getting one or the other scar over time." Now it was Matt who pulled up his shirt and showed his son a small scar on the left side.

"It's occupational risk," Liam said.

"Were you scared?" Matt asked.

"I knew you would come and get me out."

"Every time I enter a burning building I'm scared," Matt said, "I'm scared that I won't get out alive. What will become of you or Gabby then. I just focus on doing the best and coming back to you after each shift. To be afraid of something is okay."

"Why are you still a firefighter? You almost die at the burning factory back then!" He asked.

"I help and save people. I can't think of anything better," Matt replied, "I always thought you loved the fire department."

"Yeah before I realized there was no guarantee to see everyone again," Liam said, adding barely audibly, "I don't want to lose you."

"So the solution to the problem is that you stay away from us?" Matt said. Liam was still standing in front of his father. They looked into each other's blue eyes and obviously none of them knew a clever solution.

"You have been confronted with a lot in your life. I wish you didn't have to go through so much, but unfortunately I can't change it. But keeping you away from us is not the right way, Liam. You are part of my and Gabby's family, part of 51. No matter how much you stay away from us," said Matt.

"Are you really sure about that? First they treat me like a piece of dirt, then I almost die and no one cares. They never visited me in the hospital!"

"Maybe because they don't know how to apologize to you," Matt guessed, "They were all worried about you."

Liam didn't answer, but sat next to Matt on the bed, "Dad, I'm so glad you and Kelly saved me."

"I am too," Matt breathed in relief, "and I promise you that I will always believe you from now on. I was gullible and let myself influence by the Commissioner."

"Why did you come to my room?" Asked Liam. Usually his father didn't just burst in.

"Shit," Matt murmured softly, "Gabby is waiting for me, we're at a party. I forgot to let you know. We ourselves had completely forgotten the invitation. Would you like to join the Dawsons family gathering?"

"No. Antonio is really cool, as are Eva and Diego, but I don't need the complete Gabby clan," Liam grinned.

"They're not that bad," winked Matt, getting up and saying goodbye.

A few days later, Matt forced his son to come to 51. Liam didn't know what to do with the ash pile. From the outside, the department still looked a little intact (apart from the blackened walls, the broken windows and the collapsed roof).

"What happens to the 51 now?" Liam asked curiously.

"We are divided among other departments until the 51 is rebuilt" Matt said and Liam nodded.

Gabby put her arm around her stepson, "Don't worry, we all know you haven't set a single fire. It was not your fault."

"And still you force me to hang out the day with you?" Liam asked uncertainly.

"You have a severe concussion and, according to the doctor, you shouldn't be left alone," Matt said.

"We could have stayed at home," said Liam. It may be that they all no longer think of him as the arsonist, but none of the crew members of 51 visited him in the hospital. They didn't care a bit about his wellbeing. Not even his godfather, Kelly, came to see him. Nobody. And now he should hang out on the 51 again where nobody can stand him anymore?

"And who will help rebuild the 51 then?" Matt asked curiously.

Amazingly, the inside of the vehicle hall looked very good. The construction workers have been very busy in the past few days.

"So what are we doing here?" Liam asked. He was very surprised that nobody was there. But almost at the same time the siren sounded for a brief moment and Truck 81 and Squad 3 drove into the hall.

What do you think did the 51 make up to apologize to Liam?