Lies

Liam rode his bike through the streets of Chicago. Almost the whole night he stayed awake and investigated the arsons. He was so absorbed that he forgot he was writing a math exam. That's why he will not go to school today.

Liam stopped abruptly as a siren sounded for a moment beside him. He groaned annoyed. Squad 3 has caught him.

"Hey buddy, what're you doing?" Severide asked.

"No school today?" Cruz wondered. Now Kelly was listening and looked at the boy expectantly.

"Did you forget today is a holiday? The birthday of John Kennedy" Liam lied.

"Oh, sure. Is this today? Is his birthday today? I forgot that," Capp said.

"Sure it's today, what did you think?", Liam said, "See you later!"

"Um, Lieutenant, Kennedy's birthday isn't a holiday," Joe Cruz shared his thoughts.

"I know, I'm calling Casey," Kelly said, choosing Casey's number as Capp asked in confusion, "I thought today is holiday?" Kelly rolled his eyes and made a quick phone call to Matt, who ordered to bring the boy to 51 immediately.

"I hate it when we have to pick up the boy when he skips school. We are always the bad guys," Cruz said.

Severide quickly found the boy at the next intersection. Severide got out, "Clever move, but unfortunately you can't fool us anymore," he said and grabbed the steering wheel of the bicycle with his hand, "Casey wants to talk to you," Kelly said. Liam sighed and a little later, he sat at the back of Squad 3

"Did you have to call him? Dad always worries," Liam said. Severide did not even answer, just listened quietly. He certainly did not want to get into the fronts between Matt and Liam.

"I wish you could choose your father and I would choose you because you aren't so strict," Liam said. Curious Kelly raised an eyebrow and turned back into the crew cabin.

"If you were my son and I found out you were an arsonist, believe me, you wouldn't survive that conversation. If you ask me, Matt was way too gentle with you," Kelly said.

Liam said nothing and immediately when the vehicle stopped in the hall he got out.

"He's waiting for you in his office," Hermann said.

"What am I telling him this time?" Liam asked quietly.

"How about the truth!", Kelly said.

"Just tell him it's up to the genes," Mouch said, "You got it from him."

"Do you actually know the saying 'a liar is never believed, even when he's telling the truth'?" Cruz asked.

Without further comment, Liam disappeared to Matt's office. Gently he knocked and stepped inside. His dad was sitting in the chair, legs laid on his desk, playing on the Nintendo DS.

"Hey dad," Liam said, staring at his father, who did not pay attention to him. "This is my Nintendo DS," Liam explained.

"Not anymore," Matt said.

"That's unfair!" Liam said.

"How stupid do you think we are?" Matt said, "The birthday of Kennedy? Are you serious? Capp may fall for this lie, but not Severide."

"I'm sorry," Liam whispered.

"I've been thinking a long time about what to do with you. You're skipping the school, setting fires... what in the world is going on with you?" Matt asked, "Do you get too much freedom?"

"No," he whispered.

"When I work, it means that you stay at 51 both during the day and at night. I'll pick you up from school every day and if I have to with Truck 81 and the siren," Matt said, waving with the Nintendo, "No more electronics for the next few weeks."

"You can't do that!" Liam said perplexed. Even before Matt could answer the electronic announcement sounded, "Truck81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61 - traffic accident."

"Follow me," Matt said and ran to the hall. Liam quickly ran to the hall too, where everyone dressed.

"What're you waiting for! Hop in!" Matt said.

Stuck between Hermann and Mouch he sat in the crew cabin of Truck 81.

"You stay in here all the time and do not touch anything, understand?" Matt said sternly.

"Yeah, but Dad ..." Liam tried to talk to him, but Matt was in Captain mode.

"Did you understand?" He asked angrily. Liam nodded slightly, but Hermann looked at him urgently.

"Yeah, I got it," Liam said.

Curious, Liam watched as his father distributed the instructions and then tried to free the person from the car himself. It was a normal traffic accident. One driver disregarded the right of way and drove the other into it. Nonetheless, he seldom saw his father in action. After all it is not officially allowed. Perhaps today's exception should teach him a lesson. Liam sighed. Soon Matt dragged him into a burning house instead of listening to him. Why is it so hard to be heard by adults as a teenager?

He saw a dog lying on the roadside injured. He carefully opened the door to sneak out unnoticed.

"You're a cutie," Liam said and squatted down in front of him, "and you're bleeding."

Helpless, Liam looked around. The paramedics were driving away. But the Truck would have to have bandages, right? Liam jumped up and carried the little dog to Truck 81.

Matt gave instructions to clean up the scene of the accident when he saw Liam with a dog, "Liam!", Called Matt, "What did I say earlier!"

"The dog is bleeding!" Liam shouted to his father. While Matt just stood there, Stella Kidd hurried to the boy.

"Let me see!", She said and examined the wound, "He has to go to the vet."

"Let's go!" Liam said, but Matt stopped his son.

"We're not done here yet," he said, getting a very angry look from Stella.

"Get in, Liam, I'll drive you!" Stella said.

"Truck 81, we're leaving!", Matt called and went into the crew cabin to his son and Stella.

"You're still a little puppy!", Stella enthused and connected the wound.

"Stella, the dog is going to be healthy again, right?" Liam asked.

"We should definitely go to the nearest vet clinic," she answered only.

"Copy that," Matt said, navigating Otis.

"You should become a paramedic, Liam," Stella grinned. Her new assistant did his job very well.

Otis parked right in front of the veterinary clinic and Liam and Stella hurried away with the puppy.

"One thing is clear. No matter how much mischief Liam does, he still has a good heart," Otis said.

Stella and Liam burst in the middle of an animal examination and almost literally threw the woman and her cat out of the treatment room. Surprised, the doctor looked at her, but quickly saw the puppy.

"Liam, go out!" Stella said, but the boy refused and watched as the doctor removed a foreign object from the wound and stopped the bleeding.

"Your dog definitely has to stay here for a few days to observe. At least 24 hours," he said.

"Good job," Matt said, patting his son's shoulder.

"Are you serious?" Liam asked in surprise, "I resisted your order!"

"Yes, but you saved a dog's life," Matt winked.

"And made a little family all the happier," grinned Gabby. The dog only lived with his new family a few days ago and had a traffic accident with his master. In the accident, the dog was thrown out of the car.

Thanks for reviews. Your comments are always welcome! Please let me know what you think. I hope you like the story so far.