Chapter 5 - Old Friends

Nova wasn't even sure how to feel. This girl, this little thief that she had despised ever since she had stolen her bracelet at the parade was her sister. Of course! The bracelet! How could Nova have missed it? It all seemed so clear. The bullet that she had with her, her obsession with the bracelet, even her age. It all made sense.

    "What are you doing?!" Maggie protested as Nova pulled her into her arms and hugged her. She had thought for so long that the girl before her was gone, and she was not letting her go again. Of course, Maggie didn't seem to understand at all. She was pushing and squirming in Nova's embrace, trying to get free.

    "Get off of me, you weirdo!" she protested, and Nova reluctantly did so.

    "Sweet rot, I didn't think... I didn't even hope..." Nova muttered, "Let's sit down Ev- Maggie."

    "Did you just use my name? It's Magpie, Insomnia," she spat back, though she did sit back down across from Nova.

    "Magpie, there is  something you need to know." Magpie stiffened and leaned back in her chair, crossing her arms defensively. Her eyes seemed to bore into Nova's as if she was searching for some piece of her that was metal that she could tear out.

    "Your sister, the one that disappeared, she was found. You just aren't going to like this next part."

    "I guess I always knew she was dead," Magpie sighed, relaxing into her chair. Nova could tell that she had accepted this as the truth a long time ago, just as Nova had for Evie. The only difference was that Evie seemed like she had the smallest seed of hope still in her.

    "No, Evie," Nova didn't stop herself from using her sister's real name this time, and Evie looked at her was confusion plain on her face, "Your sister is alive. She was at the trial, and we finally were able to connect her to you."

    "Then where is she?!" Maggie said, raising her voice, "Let me see her!" She kept shifting in her chair with each thing Nova said.

    "Evie, you are." Magpie froze, clearly awaiting an explanation. "When I was six, my father was a prodigy who made beautiful and powerful things, like this bracelet. He wanted to right his wrongs after making Ace Anarchy's helmet, so he made a deal with the Renegades."

    "I've heard this in some of your interviews, Insomnia," Magpie interrupted.

    "I know, just let me continue. Ace hired a shooter to kill my family. The Renegades couldn't save us, because Adrian's mother was killed that same night. The man shot my mother and father before I ran. I left my sister in her cradle and the man shot her. That was what Phobia was showing me." Maggie was finally silent, knowing the story was familiar to her own. It was her own. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have left you there, Evie."

    "Wait, left me?" Maggie asked. Then the connections formed in her twelve year old mind. She shook her head slowly. She didn't want to accept it.

    "Your name is Evie Artino, Magpie. I thought you were dead for the past eleven years. If I knew you were alive..."

    "What," Evie suddenly snapped, "you would have come and found me? You don't care about me. You never cared enough to even try!" Nova wasn't sure how to respond.

    "We're done here," Evie said as she stood. "Hey, can somebody get her out of here?!" She was shouting at the mirrored window, hoping somebody would take Nova out. It was better to just follow her wishes. Nova stood and went for the door. As she opened it and went out, Evie got in a last shout.

    "I hate you, Nightmare!" Nova flinched before the door could shut, and she knew that her sister could see it. Adrian and Max looked as though they had been discussing something very embarrassing. Nova didn't let the tears fall until the door was fully closed. There was no need to hold them in after that. Adrian broke away from his adopted brother and went to Nova.