Alfred Crewe

Alfred Crewe

          Mrs Stowner and I enjoyed our afternoon with Mrs Crewe. I was happy that we were spending another three days with her. Her house was charming and I still found Mrs Crewe a nice woman. 

          "I hope you don't mind, but my youngest son Alfred is visiting me today" said Mrs Crewe.

          "Oh it will be nice to see Alfred again" said Mrs Stowner "I haven't seen him for years".

          Suddenly there was a knock at the door. "That must be him now" Mrs Crewe said. The maid went to open the door. I felt worried inside; I hoped that Mrs Crewe's son wouldn't be a bad man like his father.

          The maid entered the lounge with a handsome young man beside her. "Ah Alfred!" cried Mrs Crewe. "Hello Mother" said Alfred "sorry if I'm late". "Oh you're not late at all dear" Mrs Crewe replied "this is Mrs Stowner and her daughter Amelia Hayler". "Nice meeting you" Alfred bowed. "Nice meeting you too" replied Mrs Stowner. I just curtsied to him. "Ah Grace I just remembered something" said Mrs Crewe "I have something upstairs I wish to show you. Please come with me". Mrs Crewe and Mrs Stowner went upstairs leaving Alfred and me alone.

          "It's nice meeting you Mr Crewe" I said politely.

          "You can just call me Alfred Amelia" Alfred replied "I heard from my mother that Mr and Mrs Stowner adopted you eight years ago".

          "That is true" I replied "I lost my real mother a long time ago and her sister Millie my aunt died when I was eight. Mother and Father adopted me from St Victoria Orphanage when I was eleven. I have lived with them ever since".

          "I see" said Alfred "sorry that I made you tell me all of that".

          "Oh don't worry about it" I said. I enjoyed Alfred's company; not only was he a handsome man but he seemed good mannered and kind spirited. He didn't seem to be a bad person at all.

          "I have something that I must confess Amelia" said Alfred "I am happier here with Mother than at my home with my Father and elder brother Richard. The reason why my Mother lives separately from us is because of my Father's barbarous character. The truth is ever since he married my Mother he had been unfair to her. He treated her like she was just an item to breed children for him and never loved her like a husband should. He also treats me unfairly just because I'm the youngest son. My elder brother Richard has a barbarous character too and doesn't treat me like a brother at all. If he does get married I will feel sorry for his wife. The only thing my Father and Brother care about is wealth and business and nothing else".

          I felt sorry for Alfred having an unloving father and brother. I felt lucky that my adoptive father and brothers were not like that. I also hoped that my husband wouldn't be like that and would love me and our children forever.

          "I must ask you Amelia" Alfred said "would you like to go somewhere with me?"

          "Would you mind waiting for the day after tomorrow" I answered "the truth is before I lived at the St Victoria Orphanage I lived in London. I have plans to visit my old home and other places of my childhood memories tomorrow".

          "I understand" replied Alfred "if it's not too much to ask, may I join you?"

          "Alright if you're sure" I said. By that time Mrs Crewe and Mrs Stowner came into the room. Alfred explained to his Mother that he and I were going out together tomorrow. Mrs Crewe and Mrs Stowner agreed to let us go. Soon Alfred had to leave. "I'll pick you up at ten o'clock tomorrow" he said to me. I understood then he left.

          "What do you think of my son Alfred Amelia?" Mrs Crewe asked.

          "I have to admit Mrs Crewe" I answered "I thought your son was very charming and polite. We had a lovely chat together".

          "It's true" said Mrs Crewe "Alfred has grown up better than I hoped he would be. Not like his father or brother at all. Hang on I just need to get something quickly".

          While Mrs Crewe was out of the room I spoke to Mrs Stowner. "Mother, Alfred told me how barbaric his father and brother are". "Yes and I do not like Mr Crewe or his eldest son either" Mrs Stowner replied "but most rich folk are like that though". It seemed to me that the very rich life can be scary and unfair. Mrs Crewe came into the room, carrying a silver hair pin with a silver butterfly on the top. "I'm giving this hair pin to you Amelia" she said. "Are you sure?" I asked. "Yes" answered Mrs Crewe "this was giving to me by mother and I have no daughters of my own. I'm too old to keep and wear this now, so I'm giving this to you". I gladly accepted the gift; it was the most beautiful hair pin I had ever seen.

          That night, in the guest room I was sleeping in, I could hardly get to sleep at all. I was looking forward to going out with Alfred tomorrow. I thought that he was a charming man, but I still could not believe that he had been brought up with a mean father and brother. At least Alfred was not like them at all. Then I did fall asleep, still thinking about Alfred.