Chapter 28: He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not

I haven't even been inside the home for 10 minutes, and I'm already starting to feel comfortable. The aura, the cheer, and just the overall decor of it makes it feel like I never left, and I've lived here all my life. The subtle color accents from the decorations, along with the comfortable looking furniture makes me want to move in with the Mitchell family. 

When I sit on the couch, Emily looks at me with a sincere look on her face. "Oh, and Ash told me about what Colin did to you. I'm really sorry about all the pain he caused you all those years. I knew he was a douche, but man, I didn't expect him to stoop to that level. On my behalf, I'm really sorry," Emily tells me. 

I shake my head. "Don't worry. It's not your fault. I'm just glad I'm out of that," I say. 

She smiles. "I wish I could've done something to help. I feel so guilty now." 

I shake my head again. "Don't be. I also heart that you haven't spoken to Colin in years."

"Oh yeah. I haven't spoken to him in almost 8 years. I guess after the divorce, when my dad took custody of me and Isa, he just developed this bias against Isa and I. We never really got along though. It was always Ash and him who got along. He hung around Isa a lot at a point, but stopped because he thought Isa was annoying him too much. Then he turned into a douche, and that made Isa feel sad a lot. There were a lot of nights where she'd come crying to me because Colin was being mean, and Ash and I would make her feel better. He's always been angry, I guess," she tells me. 

I nod. "I feel you. I mean, one time, when he was drunk, he kept on calling me 'Tina' and wouldn't stop telling me to shut up and all that," I say. 

Emily's eyes widen, and she shakes her head. "Ohohoho. Ash told me about what happened, and the conversation you guys had. Tina was a nutcase. We all hated her. The worst thing is, Nicole, you look like a pretty good mix between Tina and Isa. Colin thought that Isa was annoying, and Tina.... that's kind of self explanatory. I think that's why he hated you. Then again, Ash already told you that you look like Tina," she says, and before she can continue, Ash comes hurrying down the stairs. 

A dark leather jacket is slung over his upper body, along with dark jeans, probably to deal with the cold weather right now. I look at him, and give him a smile, which he returns. "Hey, Nicole!" he says, and I get up. 

"Ash!" I say, and he goes in for a hug. I hug him, which he hugs me back in a rather loose one because of the fact that I'm still a little bit sensitive. A dab of cologne perfumes my nostrils, making me want to stay in the embrace even longer. Ash's hug is just so comfortable, that I could sleep in his arms and never complain. 

I can feel Emily's smirk burn into my back, and that's when he lets go of me. "I see Emily let you in and you both were talking. Isa's in the back cooking right now. She's making dinner, if you don't mind. She made extra because she knew you were coming," Ash tells me. 

I smile, and lick my lips a little bit. "That sounds wonderful. What is Isa making?" I ask. 

"Ajiaco. One of her specialties, as well as my mother's," Ash says, with a familiar accent ringing the name. 

I raise an eyebrow at his accented Spanish. "Your accent was perfect. You're Latino?" I ask. 

He nods. "My mom was Colombian. Dom mentioned something about being Latino as well," he says, and I nod. 

"My mom is Venezuelan. Hello, neighbor!" I say, and we all laugh. 

"Alright, Ash, I think it's time that you give her a house tour. We want her to feel at home, right?" Emily asks, and he looks back at me.