Chapter 13: Promise Me

After I'm done with all the kitchen work, I go into my closet to find something nice to wear. I find an off shoulder, red dress that falls mid shin. that can hide my bruises really well. I slip it on, and I go to apply an extra layer of concealer on my bruises so that they don't show.

Colin would give me even more bruises if he found out I was deliberately showing them. Then, Colin comes into my room, and he smirks when he sees me. "You look gorgeous, Nicole. This is how you should dress. You shouldn't dress like you're a hoe. This is how you should dress. Nice job," he says. I ignore his meaningless compliment and start to go downstairs.

His compliments are worth almost nothing when he adds his casual sexism, racism, or homophobia in there with them. Colin grabs my upper arm tightly and I turn around. "What do you say?" he asks.

I sigh. I don't need any more of his bull crap today. I've dealt with enough of that for the past few years. "Thank you," I say subtly, and he releases me. I go downstairs, and I get out a lot of pots, pans, and ingredients.

After adding water to one of the pots and bringing it to a boil, I add the potatoes into the boiling water and I start to cook my onions and carrots. I stir and stir as Colin grabs the champagne and glasses from inside the cupboard.

After I add the beef and start to cook it, Colin goes inside our freezer and pulls out a huge tub of ice cream. I look at him holding the ice cream carton, and my mouth starts to water. Ice cream sounds so delicious tonight. Especially the good old mint chocolate chip ice cream. Colin eyes me weirdly.

"If you're thinking you'll get ice cream, then you're mistaken. I don't need you to get fat. You need to stay thin," he says, and that ruins my mood. Of course he has to add that to the butt load of verbal abuse throughout the marriage.  Despite that, I ignore the thought of it and I continue to cook the meat filling for the Shepherd's pie.

I then get the boiled potatoes and I mash them with some cream in order to make the topping. I then put the filling in a casserole dish and the potatoes on top and then I put it in the oven to bake it. "Nicole, go get the place mats now," Colin demands, as he runs around, scrambling to make the place look nice enough for when the clan comes over. I pull the place mats from the drawer and place them on the table.

I then hear the doorbell ring, and Colin's footsteps lead to the door. I try to prepare myself in an attempt to look slightly presentable, so that his friends don't look like I'm growing horns. I run my fingers through my hair, adjust the straps on my dress, and make sure there's nothing out of place. 

"Hey! Colin! What's up?" I hear the familiar voice of Alex say.

"Nothing much! Come in, guys!" he says. The guys' chatting gradually becomes more audible, and they eventually make its way into the dining room. I walk out of the dining room, and all five of the guys are present in the living room. Everyone's wearing nice clothes, a smile on their face, and is talking. I keep an eye on Mark, just in case he tries to signal me with a look. Will notices my entrance, and smiles. 

"Nicole!" Will says, and he walks up to me. I flash a smile, as his arms spread out for a hug. I wrap my arms around him in a loose hug, for two reasons. One, because I'm still sensitive from my bruises. Two, Colin will get murderously jealous and possessive if he feels that I am getting too cozy with him.

"Hi Will!" I say cheerfully. I hug everyone else, and then, the sharp ringing of the timer fills the air. The shepherd's pie is done, and I do not want to get an earful from Colin about how the pie was burnt and tastes nasty.

"Make yourselves at home, guys. I'll get dinner ready," I say. Mark's eyes follow my trail to the kitchen. He almost immediately follows me as I strut off into the kitchen.