Chapter 20: Whole Again

"I can't believe it. I've found you again. I thought I had lost you," Nina whispers in my ear. At that point, I don't want to let go of her. I want to be in this state of bliss for as long as I can possibly manage, because there's nothing stopping me from embracing my best friend. Eventually, I let go of her, and I see a tear running down her face.

"No matter what, I'm always here with you. Oh my, that's so cliche," I say, and we all laugh. I sound like a middle aged mom in a tragic teen film.

"That really is. You're so cheesy, Nicole. Anyways, how long is the line?" Nina says, before catching a glimpse of it.

"Apparently longer than our calculus teacher's lectures."

Nina raises an eyebrow. "Well damn. That says something."

We all laugh again. "I can't blame any of you guys. Mrs. Cooper was one of the worst teachers that I've ever had, and everyone probably agrees. She was brutal," Elena says, and I shrug.

"Then why did you tell me to take AP Calculus then?" I ask.

Elena shrugs. "She may have been brutal, but I did actually learn things. Not going to lie."

"That's fair," I say, and we move a little bit closer since the line finally shifts. It's only been a few minutes and already I feel like my legs are about to give out underneath me. Waiting in lines is the bane of my existence.

"Nicole, why did you decide to come back just now? I've been looking for you for 3 years," Nina asks. The memories of Colin's brutal torture cause me to shiver. I don't think I'll ever be able to get over them, considering how cruel he was. Just thinking about him causes some memories to flood my mind all over again.

Nina notices my discomfort, and she places her hand on my shoulder. "Nicole? Oh gosh. I shouldn't have brought it up," Nina says.

Elena shakes her head. "Long story short, her husband abused her. His friend got her out of that hellhole, and she called me. Everything was fine from that point," Elena says.

Nina's jaw falls open. In another swift movement, she scoops me into her arms. "I'm so sorry, Nicole."

I shake my head. "Don't worry about it. The important thing is that I'm finally out of there. I can spend some time with you guys."

They both smile as we continue to move ahead in the line. "I'm glad that can happen. So, how's life been since getting back home?" Nina asks.

I give her the double thumbs up. "It's been great. I got my hair done, and I'm going for a job interview tomorrow. I'm really excited."

Nina smiles. "That's great! I was wondering why you smelled like strong roses. Must have been the shampoo and the product the stylist put."

I shrug. "Possibly. Anyways, how's USC? Hard?"

Nina sighs. "I'm back for a week before I go back. I know it's only about an hour's drive away from here, but I'm staying in a dorm. I refuse to commute to USC, especially in Los Angeles traffic. That's called death."

We all chuckle. "Fair enough. How are your parents then?" I ask.

Nina beams. "They're doing great! They really miss you, Nicole. They kept on asking if they'd found you when you were married. When I go back to USC, then they'll be taking a trip to Bosnia and Herzegovina. That'll be in about a week or so."

Finally, we get to the entrance of the restaurant. A waiter is standing there, with menus in his hands. "Good afternoon, ladies. Table of 3?" he asks.

Elena nods. "Yes please," she says.

"Right this way," the waiter says, and he guides us to a small table. A white tablecloth is gently draped over it, and the silver utensils are shining underneath the light. "Here are the menus. I'll be back shortly," he says, and he hurries off to attend to something else.