Chapter 32: Fiery Candles

You know that feeling when you feel like you connect with someone on a different level that you never realized? Like, there's something that you feel brings you closer together, and that just makes you feel amazing? That's kind of what happened at Ash's house.

I've connected like that with Nina, several times, but when Ash cried about my abusive relationship, I felt like he understood me. He didn't push it too much about me lying to him, and all he wanted was to be there for me. Honestly, I need all the support I can get. But something about having Ash's support specifically just makes the whole world better.

"Wow, it is so cozy in here. Somebody please make this into a candle," Emily tells me, which causes me to chuckle.

I beat the butter and sugar a little bit, as Emily chops up the almonds to add in the batter. "I agree. Somebody should really make this into the candle, and I think all will be well in the world. I will keep it in my room and make sure that it perfumes the whole house. I think my sister will hate me, but I will die happy," I say, and Emily just chuckles a bit more as she sifts the flour.

I mix the cream cheese in another bowl, and ask, "So, what's Ash doing for his birthday with his friends?"

Emily gently starts to beat the batter and she says, "Oh, Ash and his friends are going to hang out at the movies, then go out for lunch, and he's going to come back in the evening after hanging out with them. I know I'm going to make Ash's favorite Colombian dinner for him, because that's going to make his night."

I raise an eyebrow, and say, "What's his favorite?"

Emily licks her lips a little bit, and says, "Pescado frito. He absolutely loves it. Our mom used to make it for him on his birthday every year. Ah, good memories."

When she mentions her mom, my face falls a little bit. I know how sensitive of a topic it is for Ash, but I don't know how sensitive it is for Emily. Considering her dad took custody of her and Isa as children, I wonder whether or not she was close with her.

I look at her and say, "I'm sorry about your mom. I know how hard it is to grow up without a mother."

Emily looks at me, with a bright, yet grateful smile, and says, "Don't be. You couldn't do anything. Yeah, I don't remember much about her. I was only 8 when it happened. I wish I knew more, but Ash tells me that Isa is so much like our mom, so that makes me feel a little bit better."

I smile a little bit, and I can't help but chuckle thinking about how the extremely vibrant Isa is so much like her mom. That really makes me happy, for some reason. If Isa is so much like her mom, then I can imagine that their mom was absolutely wonderful.

"What about you? What about your parents?"

I sigh a little bit, at the memories of my mother's torments. They're like a knife scraping against a piece of butter, but I try to shake them off and answer the question.

"My mom was abusive all my life. She was actually the one that forced me into the marriage with Colin. We've all cut contact with her now, and I haven't spoken to her in 4 years. My dad is awesome though. He's an amazing dad to my siblings and I. He was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis when I was a teenager, but he's strong, and he's pushing. He's a warrior, and I'm super close with him."

A smile spreads across Emily's face, as she combines more ingredients together. "Ah, that's so cute. I wish I had a great relationship with my dad."

I raise an eyebrow. "Wait, you and your dad don't have a good relationship? Granted, I'm not surprised, kind of, but really? Didn't he take custody of you when you were a kid?"