𝐸𝑙𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑃𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑇𝑤𝑜

❤︎

𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐸𝑙𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑃𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑇𝑤𝑜: 𝐹𝑎𝑣𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑖𝑡𝑒 𝐶𝑜𝑙𝑜𝑢𝑡𝑠

"Are we allowed in here?" Sabrina asked, as she hurried to keep up with Tommy's long strides.

They had parted ways with John quite quickly, upon arriving at the Cheltenham racecourse. John had placed a peck on her cheek and Tommy had sped off in the direction of a back door, leaving her to catch up behind.

"Well, I prefer to come to the races the back way." He said, as his head lifted, carrying his eyes across the heads of people in front. "Keeps me out of trouble. I hate petty criminals."

They weaved in between the surprisingly large masses of people that flooded through doors to the right or the corridor. It seemed they had reached the main area, as music had begun to flood to her ears, loud and fun, much different to the singing in the Garrison. The walls around them had also begun to brighten, the golden panelling glistening under artificial, yellow lighting.

"Right, you'll do the talking." Tommy said, as he grabbed her by the elbow, keeping her close as they moved into a crowd.

"What? Me?" Sabrina said, flustered.

"Yes, Tell security you are Lady Sarah Duggan of Connemara. You got lost when you were going to look for the boy riding your horse- Dandy flower. And for me, if they ask, say that I'm your husband- Prussian, can't speak a word of English." He said, quickly, not one detail left out.

Sabrina looked up at him, dumbfounded. Did he expect her to remember that? He caught her wary glances with a smirk, laughing at her expression.

"It's unlikely you'll need it." He said, before pulling her toward the entrance.

They emerged into the dance hall, into the upper balcony, of which was grand in itself. The white-brick walls were silver under the mix of the glaring sun, caught windows and new lights. The twinkle of cocktail classes faintly added to the symphony of the jazz notes that drifted from the floor below.

Together, they walked to the edge of the balcony, hands resting in the red velvet barrier, separating the floors. Sabrina tilted her head, looking down at the buzz and rush of the dance floor.

At first it was obscured by the clouds of twirling smoke from the multitudes of half-burnt cigarettes, but as the fog cleared, it gave way to a chaotic scene. Sabrina let her eyes drift. They glazed over the tightly packed crowd as the jumped from one leg to the other. The women with thick painted faces and long fingers pulling cigarettes from their wine stained lips. She watched the dancers as they twirled around the stage, sliding between their long, feathered scarves, elegant as swans.

"Don't know about you, but I still prefer the Garrison." Tommy's voice broke her from the daze of the obnoxious glitz and glamour.

"We'll always prefer the Garrison." She said, finally looking up to him with a grateful smile.

"Do you dance?" He asked suddenly, peering down at her with a strange look.

"You're asking a woman if she dances? It's the twentieth century, Tommy." Sabrina teased, with a cheeky grin. The Shelby boys had made her bolder.

"Yeah, well I could pick a better one out of a hat." He said, with a raised glance and Sabrina laughed.

"Well I can dance- when asked properly."

"Lady Sarah of Connemara." He turned to face her, his hand out. "Will you dance with me?"

Sabrina smiled and placed her small hand in his, letting him lead them down the stairs and to the edge of the dance floor. They begun to dance a simple one, moving around the room in time with the music. However, it only took him a few minutes to lead them across the back of the room.

"You're making a get away." She stated, feeling him pull her backwards, before giving up on the dancing, instead walking to the door.

"I've decided to become a legitimate business." He said.

"God, you're serious?" At that exclamation, Tommy sent her a look.

The door was opened. With a cheeky grin, John stared back at them.

"We chased the lees along the track and down to Devon road." He said to Tommy, before turning to give Sabrina a wink.

"Nice dress Sabrina."  He said, before choosing to tease her, placing another kiss on her cheek. "Shame it's not blue."

"What'd you mean?" Sabrina asked, looking down at the red dress that she had specifically chosen.

"My favourite colour's blue." He said, confused at the fact she hadn't taken it lightly.

"Alright Tommy, look after her while I'm sorting this." John said, before turning to leave with the boys behind him.

"Go get a drink." He said and placed some money into her enclosed hand, before leaving sharply, the bags of money in his arms.

Sabrina watched as he disappeared to Kimber's table. She could see them perfectly from her place at the bar, where she stood, sipping her gin. They were obviously discussing something about her. Though she had been called naive many times, Sabrina could tell by the fact that Kimber couldn't seem to keep his eyes from flirting over to her. Sabrina sighed as she noticed him making his way over, a sly smirk on his lips.

"Your man said it was alright for me to have this dance." He muttered, in a voice that Sabrina supposed was apart of his plan to seduce her.

She didn't say anything. He had already took her by the hand, dragging her to the middle of the floor. It didn't take long for Sabrina to convince him to join Tommy back at the table with his accountant. She had seen his glances from his seat to the side of the dance floor. And it took an even shorter time for Tommy to rejoin her by the bar.

"So listen, we're going to go for dinner at Kimber's house. He has a place a couple of miles away. I have some business to settle with his accountant first, so." He wasted no time in telling her his plans, but he spoke in clunks, coughing slightly and awkwardly. "You go on ahead, with Kimber."

"Just me and him?" She asked, raising her brow at the mere thought.

"Yeah." He replied simply.

"What about John?"

"Look, I'll throw in an extra three quiz, for your time." He said, as he smoothed his hand across his chin impatiently.

"I didn't come for the money Tommy." Sabrina exclaimed, offended, flicking her cigarette to the ash tray beside. "Do you really think of me as a whore?"

"Everyone's a whore, Sabrina. We just sell different parts of ourselves." He said, leaning in closer, his voice sincere and persuasive.

"Is that why you brought me? Why you told me that John's favourite colour is red? It's Kimber's though isn't it?" She said, her voice quick as her anger grew.

How had she let herself be fooled by his charm? He had never liked her. John was never going to stop to dance with her.

"No it's not."

Upon seeing that she wasn't going to reply, he continued, "He threw it in the deal last minute. It's the only way."

"I'm a clause in a contract." She stated.

"You don't have to do anything with him. You're a smart girl, Sabrina. You'll think of something." Tommy said.

Sabrina scoffed, shaking her head. She shouldn't have to think of something. She shouldn't have been there in the first place, she thought.

❤︎