XIV. you cry, you lose

Start from the beginning

Eager and ready to head back towards her chamber in the midst of the night, there she heard it again, the rough gunshot. Still, not a sole soul came outside their respective rooms. How strange.

Letting out a weak sigh, Seraphina knew she'll regret her ruling. Nonetheless, at that very juncture, she doesn't care. The next minute, she found herself strolling barefoot towards the massive window, yanking the maroon curtain aside for a bit.

What the spectacle outside quivered Seraphina to her very core for there stood a tall hooded man, a gun to his gloved hand and an ax to the other.

What made all this worse was over him is no other than Zachary himself, plopping in the ground, all soaked from the rain, drowning in his own reservoir of blood.

Seraphina felt her blood drained out of her body at such sight before her. Her stunning emerald eyes follow the movement of the man as he raises his ax. Seraphina knows what will happen next if she doesn't do anything.

She knew she had to do something. She knew she had to rescue Zachary. Despite how psychotic he is, she knows she cannot lose another Canning.

As stupid as it sounds, Seraphina found herself bawling Zachary's name but he did not seem to hear her. Instead, the hooded man stared at her, realizing he wore such a creepy clown-like mask. The only difference was, his mask is filled with tears of blood.

Frankly speaking, she couldn't really tell because she couldn't see much due to the dark. Besides, she is lurking behind the curtain which after all, doesn't do much.

The mask surely frightens the hell out of her for Seraphina was fastened in her very place, her hand clutching the curtain hard, her hands jiggling.

Zachary, thank goodness, look over at her. Panic rising within him. "Get inside!" He roared, pleading.

Gulping, Seraphina did not listen to him, deciding to be dauntless and without any second thought, she grabbed dozens of parasols near the balcony and threw them at the hooded man, scarcely hitting him.

He is possibly snickering at her behind that mask.

Great, not only did she hurl the girls' extravagant parasols, shattering them, she also made herself a laughing stock.

Moreover, Zachary is still laying in the ground, grunting, his blue eyes glancing at her with such emotions she's not used to seeing him with.

Seraphina forced herself not to think of anything about him considering him swimming in his own pool of blood. There's no way he is...

Her eyes went massive as the hooded man hoisted his gun at her, his ax across Zachary's feet when Seraphina decided to come into the light, the moonlight illuminating above her.

In a well-ordered universe, no way would Seraphina do what she just did for she knew this is pure stupidity. Zachary, as well, knew that his mouth went large, his eyes wide in anger and panic and worried and so much more, and screamed at her to go back inside.

What subsequently transpired shook her for the man was glued in his very spot, and with that, for an unknown reason, the murderer galloped away, leaving the ax behind.

When she came into the light, that's when she realized the man was wearing a mask covered with different patches of skin and a clown-like make-up above it.

As the murderer was nowhere to be seen, Seraphina hastily went outside, towards the bleeding Zachary. She did it as fast as she could before the man came back.

As soon as she reached Zachary, she knew that instantly he had no power to get up on his own because his foot and leg were misleading.

She knew Zachary's about to shriek at her for being such a fool a while ago but for some reason, despite the apparent outrage in his face, he declared none.