The Power Of The Dubannes Pt. 1

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

"Y-yes, Headmistress!"

--------

"Lady Ysabelle, Master Walter a letter has arrived from the academy."

"A letter? Ophelia must be sending me another letter on how school is going! Do bring it over, Martha."

"But Ysabelle, this isn't Ophelia's usual writing paper. It looks like an official letter from the academy. It must be serious."

Ysabelle could only smile at her husband. "Maybe it's about Ophelia's wonderful conduct. She's always been such a lovely child." She gently opened the letter, avoiding breaking the wax seal, and began to read it aloud.

"To the Dubannes family, we regret to inform you that a. . . a tragedy has befallen one of your children in attendance of our academy, Miss Ophelia. We request your immediate arrival at our campus so we may discuss" Ysabelle's voice had long ago began to shake and fizzle out as she read on. "the incident and how we may proceed. With a heavy heart, Headmistress Mauve Sherlocke."

The only sound after the letter was finished being read was the crackle of the fireplace until Walter's voice cut through the silence.

"Martha."

"Yes, sire?"

"Prepare the carriage at once!"

--------

I had been siting outside of the school's hospital ward (yes, they have one of those) for at least five hours, but I could not sleep. Even when Rachael came to attempt to drag me back to the dorms so I could sleep some, I did not budge from my spot. There were many a chair in the hall I was in, but I decided to kneel instead. I felt like it was the only thing I could do to keep myself grounded in this whirlwind of emotions. Mainly, the emotion was guilt. Guilt for having left Ophelia alone with that monster, and guilt for ever having thought that everything would be fine.

There was also anger, sadness, and the one I was most afraid of. Numbness. I felt terribly numb without Ophelia here to talk to me, to annoy me a bit, to prevent me from working. To do anything. The only thing keeping me from sinking fully into that numbness was the pain in my knees from kneeling for so long.

I had no intention of moving until the doctor treating Ophelia, Doctor Michael I think, finally walked into the hall and came upon me in my kneeling position.

"Miss Ava?"

"Yes, Doctor?"

"What are you doing?"

"Repenting. Is my lady alright?"

"She is now in stable condition. You're welcome to visit her now. She's been asking about you ever since she woke up-"

I probably startled the poor man with my sudden movement, but I couldn't quite care at the moment. I needed to see her, to make sure she was alright.

"Thank you, Doctor."

"You're welcome, Miss Ava. Ah, before you go, do you happen to-"

I walked into Ophelia's room and closed the door behind me before he could finish his sentence. I knew what he'd say. He was already blushing up a storm as I made eye contact with him. It was a strange sight, as he was obviously older than me but I'd rather not get into the laws of age in this place.

The room was quiet, though not dark. There was a bedside table with a lit oil lamp, emitting a faint light into the room. Next to the bedside table was of course, a bed. And in that bed was a familiar person with a gentle look in her yellow eyes and a soft smile on her face.

"Ava. I was wondering where you were. I was worried that you'd gotten hurt too." Ophelia sat up in bed with a bit of a struggle, which sent me into a bit of a panic as I quickly kneeled next to her bed and pushed her back down.

"I'm fine! Please, don't move too much, Ophie. You might open a wound or something."

"The doctor assured me that I have no wounds or bleeding. I simply needed to get all the water out of my system. There was quite a bit. Did you find my handkerchief?"

I stared at Ophelia for a long time without replying. Her face was no longer deathly pale, and she was emitting warmth. I couldn't help but smile before Ophelia let out a gasp.

"Ava, you're crying. Are you sure that everything is alright?"

I could only laugh before the tears came down my face even faster. "Yes. Everything is alright. I'm just. . . so. . . relieved. . ."

I placed my face on the bed to hide the rest of my tears  before being lulled to sleep by the sheer relief of having all the stress off my shoulders.

--------

The black haired girl placed a gentle hand on her maid's head, rubbing it gently and with the utmost care. A smile full of adoration was upon her face as she turned her over and wiped the leftover tears from her face.

"I'm sorry, Ava. I know what I've done is selfish and terrible. Making you worry so much. But you don't have to know anything about that."

A soft pinch to the sleeping woman's cheek made her let out a quiet squeak, making the other girl laugh.

"All you have to do is be lovely, Ava. The one who's taken care of me for so long. The Ava that I love so very much."

 --------

I spent what seemed like a short period of time after waking up from my sudden fit of sleep taking care of Ophelia. It felt I was doting on her like I once did when she was just a little girl, barely knowing anything about the outside world and unbelievably adorable. It would've been more nostalgic if she weren't stuck in a hospital room getting check-ups every couple of hours.

The Dubannes family arrived much quicker than I believed they would, with Ysabelle having tears in her eyes and Ophelia's father, Walter who I had never met, was in the office with the Headmistress demanding an explanation on why his daughter was in a hospital ward instead of enjoying her student life.

I think I could hear him swearing from Ophelia's hospital room.

The academy was also doing an investigation on what exactly had happened, and as a key witness I knew I'd be called into the office sooner or later. It was sooner, the early next morning actually when a guard came to get me while Ophelia was sleeping.

It was quite the well furnished office, nice carpets, a wood desk, couches. But I wasn't here to observe scenery.

"Please state your name and occupation."

"Ava Simmonds, personal maid of Ophelia Dubannes."

I was siting in front of the Headmistress and someone else, who was siting nearby with what looked like a notepad.

"Can you please inform us of what occurred on Wednesday, when Miss Dubannes was attacked."

I stared at the Headmistress quietly before nodding.

And I began to speak.

[ Hello my lovely readers! Authoress Marillcakes here, gifting you a new chapter a few days before Christmas. I know I left it on a bit of a cliffhanger and all, and I hate cliffhangers, but I wanted to leave a bit of an air of anticipation. Not only for the next chapter but for our Christmas Special as well! Remember to leave your requests for AUs you'd like to see drabbles/short scenarios for so you can see them in the Special! As always, thank you all for your constant support of VRP, and remember to vote, comment, and add this story to your reading lists! ]