Chapter 30: Adieu

Começar do início

I pass by the old shack I used to live in—still boarded up and empty as the guards confiscated all of my belongings—and see one of my old friends Mary, the blind beggar that usually would hang around the sweet shop. From what I understood, I was her main source of income before I was arrested, and I really didn't think she would survive much longer after that. She skinner than before and her think gray hair blows around her face as a gust of wind blows through the square. She must be freezing given that the only thing she wears is a tattered wool dress that someone must have donated and a pair of old boots.

My heart breaks for her as her small hand—which is held out in hopes to collect a single coin—shakes uncontrollably.

"Mary?" I call out as I begin to walk towards her, my fingers already working on the strings that tie my coat together. Her head jerks up and she turns in the direction of my voice.

"Cora? Is that you?" she asks before giving a raucous cough that seems to reverberate throughout her body.

I can't help but give a smile and I take her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze as I sit down beside her on the street. Her skinny arms warp around me in an embrace and I try my best to not gag at the smell of her condition. "I had heard whispers that you had come back from your trip, but I thought they were only rumors," she says, pulling away and staring at me with her lifeless white eyes. "And then I thought, even if you had you would have forgotten about all of us here with your new fame and fortune," she tells me.

Shaking my head, I quickly remove my coat and place it around her bony shoulders before fastening it properly. "I'd never do that," I say. "When I was arrested I feared that you wouldn't make it without me. Are you alright?"

She gives a sigh and takes my hand in hers and I can't help but give a shiver at her icy touch. "I'm the same as always. When you left, others took your place in helping me though I'll admit they aren't as...generous as you were, but so it goes. You must tell me how your journey went, I've been dying to know what the world is like outside of these walls," she says.

Pressing my lips together, I look up at Merit's tavern and give her a nod. "Come with me. We'll get you a hot meal and I'll tell you all about it," I offer, helping her to her feet before carefully leading her inside the small tavern.

When we enter, I'm pleased that the room is toasty and I help Mary take a seat at one of the few empty tables before sitting across from her. "Stay here, I'll get us some food," I tell her before making my way towards the bartop.

Merit—who has been watching me from the moment I entered her establishment—gives me a smirk and tosses a dirty hand towel over her shoulder. Her red hair is twisted up into a bun at the top of her head and her green eyes blink a slowly. "Well well well, look who has come back from the grave."

I roll my eyes though I can't help but return her grin. "It's good to see you too. Can I have two bowls of tomato soup please?" I ask, propping my elbows up on the counter.

She gives me a small nod and quickly disappears into a back room before coming back with two steaming bowls of the red liquid with a side of cheesy bread. She then fills to tankards of water and hands it to me on a tray. I slide her the payment and promise I'd be back to talk later before returning to the table with Mary.

"Here you are," I say, handing her her food. She gives me a toothy grin and blows on a spoonful before popping it into her mouth.

"So what happened?" she asks, fumbling for her drink. I put it in her hand and sigh, knowing it'll be a long story but I tell her anyways—because that's what I'd always do. Whenever I needed someone to talk to freely that would pass no judgment, I'd seek out her wise words. After all this time, it felt somewhat strange to give her so much detail, but soon I find the words pouring out with more ease with each sentence that passes.