Chapter 12: Jasper

A slow rocking brings me out of the land of oblivion and I open my eyes, groggy and full of thirst. I don't know how much time has gone by when I awaken, but judging on the stiffness in my body and how the evening rays of the sun are slanting through whatever forest we are in, I'd have to guess it's been almost a day.

Blinking, I take in my surroundings, disoriented but recovering. Iron encages me and it takes me a moment to realize I'm in a large cage attached to a wooden cart. Five men ride on horses behind us with bored expressions on their faces and from the sound of it, more ride ahead.

It is then when I recollect the previous night's events and my body freezes, cold with fear of what is to come next. Something is in my mouth that tastes foul and when I go to remove the gag I realize then that both my hands and feet are bound with my hands being behind my back. Looking around, I see that I am one of the last to wake up save for Amiri who is passed out cold towards the front of the cage. Laria leans her back against the left while Crispin sits upright, resting his forehead on his knee. His shoulders sag and he sways freely with each bump of the wagon, exhausted and defeated.

Few things make little sense at the moment, but what I do know is that last night we were somehow drugged, taken, and are now captives.

I catch Laria's eye and try my best to shrug, silently asking her what is going on but she too is gagged so she only shakes her head before closing her blue eyes.

It is then when I find myself annoyed—not at her of course, but at the situation in its entirety. Why us? Surely it has nothing to do with the man I stole a few coins off of, he was far too much of an imbecile to orchestrate such a task. So who are they then? And why drug then wait to capture us? Why not attempt to overpower us when we left the confines of Farnmoss? Do they know who we are or do they only know of who we proclaimed to be? Where are we going? What do they plan to do?

Grunting as much as the gag allowed, I lean backwards and begin to kick the iron bars in hopes that it will get their attention and with any luck some answers. Crispin jolts up and looks at me, seeming somewhat surprised that I'm awake. He attempts to say something to me but it's muffled when one of the men on a horse behind us speaks up.

"Oi! I thought I told you to stop that! One more time and one of you lot loses a finger," he barks. His hair—once a deep chocolate—is now dull and starting to show the signs of age as grey creeps into his hairline. His sports chops, leaving his chin bare of hair and his nose is large and crooked.

Not wanting to call his bluff, I sigh and sit back up, remaining silent, understanding the sullen attitudes of my friends. For the time being, we are utterly powerless and can do nothing.

About half and hour or so go by when whoever drives the carriage pulls the reins and we stop at a very small clearing in the woods. There are still trees scattered here and there and pine needles cover the forest floor and I have a feeling they will make camp for the night.

Amiri is still out cold, so Crispin, Laria, and I watch a total of ten men unpack their items and form a makeshift encampment. It's the first time I am able to get a good look at them as well. Most seem to be in their mid-thirties, with one possibly nearing fifty. Some are remarkable, with swollen muscles and deadly looking swords attached to the hip while others seem average.

A horse neighs to my far left and I realize that not only have they stolen us but our horses as well.

A large bonfire is made and ten canvas tents are pitched in random places throughout the encampment. A line is strung between two trees and I assume it is for stringing up any game they might find on their hunt. Four split off with bows and arrows while the others lounge around the fire and begin to cook various items of food—most of it belonging to us. I see my bag of sweets has already been devoured with only a few lemon drops remaining.