Introduction

Since I was a young boy, fantasy has dominated my imagination. Everything from dragons, to witches, to magic, to the wonders of mythology, fantasy has been there to fill my creative passions.

Back in 2008, I began my journey into writing. My early works consisted of short stories about talking bicycles and merry cafeteria ladies who for some reason had fish heads. When I look back and read those early creations I cringe at the absurdity and the devastation I did to the English language. Needless to say, my writing was bad.

But writers always start somewhere. Be it scribbling on napkins at lunch or in the margins of textbooks, a writer is born from a desire to create a world and share it. 

Storytellers have always played a crucial part in human society. Stories once warned us of what to eat and not to eat, of where to hunt and when to hunt, of what places to avoid for the gods rested there. Sure stories have evolved but the human imagination has remained in a constant state of wonder. We create fantasies to help explain important life lessons, to share our mythology for things not yet understood, and to escape from the troubles of everyday life. 

The following chapters will focus on the basic elements of a fantasy story as well as offer creative tips, writing advice, and explore the nature of the fantasy genre. Please join me in this literary quest for you to hone your writing and plotting skills and become the best fantasy storyteller I know you can be.