14- The Talk

(Y/N) sat on the chair next to Sophie, looking around at the room she was in as Sophie and Alden talked.

A huge, curved window took up one of the walls, overlooking a clear, silvery lake, while a floor-to-ceiling aquarium wrapped around the rest of the room. (Y/N) watched the clear blue water, trying to calm herself within it's cooling, deep color.

(Y/N)'s eyes drifted to the stacks of newspapers covering Alden's desk, each one with red marker all over it, circling and underlining.

Probably used to look for us.

"I think I know what you're going to say," Sophie said, interrupting (Y/N) from her thoughts and bringing her back to the present. "You're going to tell me that I'm not related to my family."

A shadow crossed Alden's face. "Yes, I was planning to discuss that," He glanced at (Y/N) as well, as if to make sure if she was listening. "But what we really need to talk about is why you both can't live with your families anymore."

Uuuuuuh, I'm an orphan...?

But when (Y/N) was just about to say something about it, she saw Sophie's stricken face, her eyes downcast, and all her attention went to Sophie.

Alden took Sophie's hand as (Y/N) wrapped her arm around her shoulders, giving them a gentle squeeze. "I'm so sorry, Sophie, (Y/N)," He continued. "We've never faced anything like this, and there's no perfect solution. None of you can hide your abilities forever; especially as they grow stronger. Sooner or later someone will suspect that that the two of you are something other, and we can't allow that to happen, for the safety of both of you- and ours. Now that the Council knows that the two of you exist, they've ordered that you both move here. Effective immediately."

There was silence. (Y/N) knew that Sophie was probably still trying to process everything, so she kept her arm wrapped around her.

But what do I think of this?

She knew that she had always wanted to leave the orphanage, but deep, deep down, she felt like she wasn't prepared.

But she always knew that she didn't belong, and it's not as if she would ever get used to the fact that she had to leave behind everything she knew.

I guess it's best to just get it over with.

"Will I get to visit my family?" Sophie asked hesitantly.

Alden let out a sad sigh as he shook his head. "I'm sorry. I'm afraid that would be impossible. We call the areas where humans live the 'Forbidden Cities' for a reason. Access is severely restricted. Plus, they're going to think you're dead."

Sophie jumped to her feet. "You're going to kill us off?"

"As far as your families and the rest of the humans are concerned... yes."

What.

"Woah, woah, woah. No offense, but are you crazy?"

"You can't do that to my parents," Sophie whispered.

'We have to. If you just disappear, they will never stop looking for you, and that could end up to be a big proble-"

"Is it possible you can just make everyone forget we ever existed?" (Y/N) asked, glancing at Sophie for any objections.

There were none.

Alden paused, as if thinking the question thoughtfully. "Well, I guess it could be done, but it would be way more complicated. Both your families would lose their jobs, their house, all their friends-"

"It's better than them thinking that their daughter is dead."

It was quiet for a second, as if Alden had finally noticed that Sophie wasn't going to budge. "But what about you both? These are people you love. Wouldn't it be too painful?"

A single tear streaked down Sophie's face as she answered, "Yes, but only for me... This is about what's best for them."

"...If that's what you want, then I'll make sure it happens."

(Y/N) leans back, letting out a sigh of relief in Sophie's sake.

At least she knows her family won't be grieving.

"Will we get to say goodbye?" Sophie asked hesitantly, her voice hitching in the middle.

Alden shook his head, his face apologetic. "The Council specifically forbade me to take any of you back."

A small sob escaped Sophie, and (Y/N)'s pity increased tenfold.

"Please," (Y/N) said for her friend. "Let her."

Alden studied (Y/N)'s face for a second before giving her a hesitant nod. "I can't take you two without risking a Tribunal, but I think I'll give you about 20 minutes before I alert the Council of the change of plans and have Fitz take the two of you. You'll both have to change, of course, and make sure you don't get seen at all. Understood?"

(Y/N) sighed in relief once more, giving Alden a firm nod. "Thank you," Sophie murmured, brushing aside her tears.

Just as the two females got up though, another thought came to (Y/N)'s mind.

Should I tell him that I'm in an orphanage? (Y/N) thought, sparing a glance at Alden's face as he went to find something on his desk.

"Is there something you'd like to tell me, (Y/N)?" He questioned when he caught her gaze.

"Umm... no. There isn't. Just thinking about what me and Sophie are going to do when we get back to the human world," (Y/N) lied sheepishly, before turning to exit the room after Sophie.

Nah... I won't tell him. He's probably going to figure out anyway when Fitz takes us back home.