Part 10: It Doesn't Get Easier

Brendon's POV

I carefully unbuckled and picked up a now sleeping Tatum from her car seat.

"Oh baby girl.." Sarah cooed pushing Tat's hair out of her face. It's funny, when she's asleep it's as if she's our little baby again but when she's awake we are on guard every second.

"She sleeps like you. Look at that face." Sarah smiled, cooing at Tatum's soft face. Her mouth ajar and eye brows drawn together . As we went into the house I went into Tat's room and placed her in her bed, tucking her in.

"How about you take it easy on your mama when I'm away, huh? I bet she'd appreciate that. I know it's hard but I'll be home so much after this your gonna want me to go away..." I chucked giving her a kiss on the head and leaving the room. I sat at the breakfast bar and waited till Sarah entered the kitchen.

"Maybe we should share our story... maybe you guys can sell t-shirt or something to raise the money for the hearing aids." She offered, I thought. Maybe. People have dealt with insurance companies before, I bet they'd understand our fight with them.

"What would we even say?" I asked, how do you explain a secret?

"Well start with her getting sick and go from there. How about I try to write something up and we can look at it?" Sarah throw the idea out there and I agreed. It can't hurt, I know fans would rally to help.

"I'm gonna miss you..." Sarah smiled, I giggled at her smirk.

"I'm gonna miss you more. The road gets boring..." I smiled back, and it's true.

"Just don't come home sick." She groaned, you see I have before. This resulted in Tatum getting sick and let's just say, it wasn't pretty. Try telling a 3 1/2 year old, who can't hear, to tell you when she's gonna throw up. Yeah, not good. We basically sat her in the bathtub  for three days.

"Are you packed?" Sarah asked, I shook my head.

"Kinda..." I laughed, she gave me her "mom face" and I got up to finish packing.

——————

"Hey anybody home?" Zack called as he entered, I called back to him and greeted him.

"Packed and ready." I answered to his, "ready?".

"Hi Zack," Sarah called from the kitchen, well she continued making dinner. We walked into the living room; Tatum was sat destroying the room. She likes to take apart the couch, meaning she takes all the cushions off and jumps from the couch into them. But I for sure did that when I was her age too.

"Hey kiddo!" Zack smiled, waving at T. She waved back and went back to playing and humming.

"You two gonna be okay for a few days?" Zack asked Sarah, she nodded.

"We always are, we'll figure it out. We always do..." She smiled and nodded.

"Bren we gotta be at the airport in an hour, we're gonna leave soon..." Zack mentioned softly, he knows it's hard. It's 50/50 if Tatum gets upset or doesn't notice for a few hours.

"Hey kiddo..." I called walking over catching her attention. She looked past me, never been one for eye contact, I smiled at her.

"Uncle Zack and I are going away for a few days... okay?" I asked pointing to Zack the myself, signing 'go' and pointing to the front door. She tilted her head at me, then pointing to herself and signing 'go'. I shook my head pointing to her and pointing to Sarah.

"Your staying with Mama..." I spoke softly, she whined throwing her hands down to her sides and went back to jumping.

"It's gonna be okay." I honestly said it more for me than for anyone. It's hard leaving them, it doesn't get easier.

"I love you..." I mumbled hugging Sarah, we both sighed. We've done this so many times, it's always hard. No matter how long we are apart.

"I love you too babe..." We just held each other.

"Bye bye Tatum... I love you." I called as Zack and I began to leave. Sarah picked her up and walked with her to the door. I did the 'I love you' sign and gave her a small smile. She waved bye in response and pouted. She knows what's going on around her, she has a want to communicate. We gotta fight for her.