Chapter 34

Kendallyn's Point of View
11 years later...
Epilogue Part 1 of 4

"Silver heels or gold heels?" I called out, my voice echoing into the other room.

"Don't care," He yelled back.

I shook my head, smiling slightly. "That's not helpful."

"Kendal." Kile appeared at the doorway to my closet, wearing a gigantic goofy grin. His signature. "I'm not your friend to give you fashion advice. I'm your friend because you're the only other person my age in the palace."

I gasped and pushed his shoulder. "You're so mean."

He laughed, and caught my wrist in its assault. "The gold ones."

"Good. Than I'll pick the silver ones," I smirked.

He rolled his eyes and strolled back into my bedroom, collapsing on the bed. I followed him out with my dress and shoes for tonight's event and neatly laid them over the back of a chair. Then I went searching for a fan brush.

"I can't find my paint brush," I mumbled, searching the ground around my easel with my eyes before crouching down to do it manually.

"Can you ever?"

I shot him a look and he just grinned.

"My maids never put them in the right place when they're done cleaning," I continued, ignoring his remark.

"That's because you don't actually have a spot for your paint brushes," He said, totally siding with the enemy.

"The spot is on the easel."

"Or the floor, or the table, or your bed..." He prattled.

"When they're in those places, I know where to find them," I said defensively. I crawled across the floor and blindly felt around the space by my vanity until my hand came across what felt like a paint brush.

"Aha!" I lifted it and frowned. Wrong one. Suddenly something hit my head and my fan brush fell into my  lap.

I glanced up at Kile. "Um...ow."

He shrugged. "You wanted your fan brush."

"Well thanks, I guess."

I stood up and straightened out my day dress. Kile had at some point went to my bookcase and was now a few pages deep into one of my books.

"I think you're the only princess to ever crawl across the floor in a dress," Kile commented.

"It's one of my defining qualities," I agreed.

I checked the bristles on my paint brush closely for damage and once I was sure that it was fine, I returned to my easel.

"I think..." I said after a while. "That I want to put a house into this landscape painting. Do you have any designs I can use?"

"I can make one for you," He offered.

"That would be perfect," I hummed, dipping my brush into a light yellow.

"What is this painting?" Kile asked, his eyes never leaving his book.

"This one is for Aunt May. I moved it up here from the gallery because she was being nosy."

"She is pretty nosy," Kile agreed. Peaceful quiet filled the room as I got swept into my art piece and Kile fell deep into whatever book he was reading. That was one thing about my friendship with Kile that I will always be grateful for. We don't have to always be talking to hang out with one another. I'll be painting and he'll read a book. He will work on a design and I'll practice piano. Comfortable quiet.