Chapter 5:

"Mommy are we lost?" Kendallyn asked, looking up at the palace with wonder.

"No sweetie," I said, looking around for some indication of where I am.

"Are you sure? We look pretty lost," Kendallyn mumbled.

"We're not lost, Kendal. We're just exploring," I said, passing by a painting that I swore I passed already.

"That's what people who are lost say."

I rolled my eyes. That girl has an attitude like no other but I can never bring it in me to punish her because she's just like me. Sometimes I wonder what parts of her personality she gets from...him.

"Mommy?" Kendallyn asked.

I snapped out of my daze and looked down at her. She was pulling on my dress and looking up at me. "Yes?"

"Aren't we going to go play piano?"

I shook my head clear and smiled. "Yes, yes." There's gotta be some sort of map or like secret to this place that I don't know. I leaned against the wall and sighed.

"Ahhhhh!" I screamed, jumping away from the wall. The wall suddenly opened up revealing a doorway. I placed my hand against my chest feeling my heart beat quickly against my palm.

"That scared me, Mommy!" Kendal yelped.

"Me too...." I trailed off in confusion. I hesitantly peeked into the dark doorway. It was a large empty space with different staircases leading to different doors. "Ugh! Were just going to get even more lost."

"It's a secret passage. They go all over the palace," Somebody said.

I jumped again turning to face the new person. It was the maid I met yesterday. Lucy, I think.

"I'm trying to find the music room," I sighed, grabbing Kendallyn's hand. The passageway door closed and I only barely jumped this time.

"1st floor east wing," She laughed.

"Thank you."

I pulled Kendallyn along with me down stairs and corridors until we finally made it to the music room. I was starting to believe it didn't really exist.

"Piano!" Kendallyn giggles running over to the shiny grand.

"Yeah," I laughed, staring at all the shiny unused instruments. "Piano."

Kendal climbed onto the bench and began to play a simple nursery rhyme. It was the only thing she knew but for a four year old I think it was pretty impressive. I sat on the bench next to her and played a longer more complex version of the nursery rhyme.

"Show off," Kendallyn mumbled.

I laughed. "One day you'll be able to play just like me."

I placed my hands over hers and guided her to play the same song as I did.

Kendallyn giggled. She's always giggling. "Can we play the song Mommy?Pleeeeeeaaassseee."

"Anything for you, sweetie."

I walked over to the violins. Each one shiny and unused, displayed on a shiny table. I grabbed one and sat back down on the stool with her.