Chapter 6:

I stared up at the stage in awe. My mind connected every movement she made to a movement she made in my memory. Every word she sang became a word she spoke. I don't remember much, but I remember her. And the other girl. The one who is singing with her with the chestnut hair. That's Celeste Newsome! She's the one who hosted the party.

I took a step back, my knees going weak. It was such an insignificant night that was so long ago. The two halves of me fought. The princely half worried about these two girls who know about what I was doing that night. And the other half longed for that night. One of the best and most free nights of my life.

"Maxon!" A voice startled me.

I gasped, looking around.

"Maxon, are you alright?" Maria's honey voice asked, her accent messing up the inflections of the words.

I shook my head clear. "Yes I'm fine."

"You look like you've seen a ghost," She murmured, her hand on my arm.

I have.

My eyes flashed to the girl dancing on the stage. Maria's followed.

"She's pretty. You interested?" Maria laughed, wiggling her eyebrows.

"No. Um...no. I just...need a drink," I sighed.

"Me too! But no dice. The parents only provided fancy expensive wine. You'd need to drink like 5 glasses of this stuff to feel even as bit tipsy. But don't worry," Maria laughed, tapping her wine glass with her long painted nail. "I'm working on it."

"I better get started then," I muttered, slumping away.

An angelic laugh suddenly filled the room and I looked up. The red headed women had put the microphone down and was walking away. For a second, her stage smile faded into a frown, her mood shifting. Her eyes seemed to hold a lifetime of stress and confusion. She looked as if she was holding the weight of the whole world on her shoulders. And then it melted away and she was smiling again.

I didn't know how to feel. I knew it was her. There wasn't a doubt in my mind. But she most likely doesn't remember it. Or even know it was me. I never leave the palace, why would she think that I ever have?

I slipped outside into the foyer. I leaned back against the wall, my eyes closing shut. Why did it seem like my life was caving in on itself when all I had done was see one women. Well I guess it was because I was looking through a looking glass. Into my past. Into the best day of my life. And I guess it didn't hurt that what I was looking at was also a beautiful goddess.

"Excuse me sir," a little voice asked.

I opened my eyes and saw the little girl from in the music room. She had long, flowing reddish hair like her Mother. Yet somehow it was lighter. She was wearing her pajamas and clutching a blanket in her hand.

"Hello there....my apologies dear, I do not know your name."

The little girl looked down shyly, her hair falling in her eyes. "I'm Kendallyn, your majesty."

"Kendallyn!" I gasped dramatically, bending down so I was eye level with her. "That sounds like the name of a princess!"

She giggled, rolling her foot around.

"And are these your glass slippers?!" I asked.

"No silly!" She laughed. "These are my night time slippers!"

I pretended to examine them in confusion and then lit my eyes up. "If I may ask, why isn't a princess like yourself asleep?"

She frowned. "A maid was watching me. I think her name was Lori....or Lucy! And my mommy told me not to wonder off but the castle is just so pretty. I wanted to see it."