"Watch your words."

Lady startled when the man moved so fast, he almost literally teleported the distance between them. She hadn't even heard it, but his sword was out of its sheath and pressed lightly against her throat in a split instance. Once again, Lady was reminded by how sorely sub-par she was in comparison to the sons of Sparda. How could she claim to aim for being a demon huntress when there were such powerful half-demons out there?

"Your father was foolish. He overstepped his boundaries assuming he can handle Sparda's power. But he hasn't come to the realization of his incompetence yet. That power belongs to a son of Sparda, and if you and your father have any sanity left in your blood, the both of you should get out of here."

This time, Lady heard the metallic ring as the sword slid back into its sheath, and the steady clicks of footsteps resumed.

"Wait." She called, regaining her wits after having it shaken out of her by Vergil's sudden show of power. "Wait, Vergil. Your name is Vergil, right?"

At the sound of his name, the man stopped, but didn't turn around –barely looking over his shoulder at her backed up against a destroyed shelf.

"Dante is already up there and he is probably facing against my father anytime now. I don't know... I don't know how strong Sparda's power is going to make him and if Dante can defeat him, but please... free my father." She made the same request, hoping that there was just that tiny bit of humanity left in the elder twin to accede to her request.

Dante had promised her with a head-on confident, charismatic smile that he would make things right for her. But that same man had his cocky, smiling attitude towards everything. Lady couldn't trust the man just as yet –she and Dante had only met literally a few hours ago –and she couldn't possibly put all her bets on Dante. She knew better than to place all her eggs in one basket, especially if the basket in question was as flimsy and full of holes like Dante's.

"The only way to free that worthless being from his misery is death. And if you believe so foolishly that this is purely a family matter for you, then you should be the one to end him." Vergil declared unforgivingly, resuming his walk as if she had not said anything of significance.

"But..."

"Wait at the top of the tower if you wish to end your misery. That undeserving individual doesn't have a place in the Demon World, and I will make sure that he is rejected from that place. After that, do as you wish with him."

The promise hung silently between them as Vergil pushed the door to the exit of the library and stepped out nonchalantly, continuing on his journey to the top of the tower, and further upwards towards where his twin would eventually be standing up against a human who had overestimated his own capabilities.

Neither of them knew at that time that Lady's father would turn out to not be the only one overestimating personal capability on that day.

________________________________________________________________________________

"I hope you are doing well." The deep, rich voice of a man careful with his words took Lady's attention.

She had barely just woken up from her long slumber only to find herself having been humiliated by Urizen to be used as a fodder for his demonic creations. She was thankful that she had been unconscious the whole time she had been caged inside Artemis, but the horror of realization that she had been weak and powerless against another demon still struck something raw inside her as she struggled to adjust her emotions back to usual.

"I've been better." She answered honestly, feeling bare both inside and outside (considering the fact that she was being covered by just a dirty sack).