1

The TARDIS whirred as the Doctor pulled back a lever with one hand, and pushed several buttons with his other. Rose had only been gone for about five minutes, and her usual spot at the console was already a harsh reminder of her absence.

Sure, they had both agreed that she needed to spend at least a day or two with her mum, Jackie Tyler, but he missed Rose already.

He rolled a piece of the console, his black jacket snapping against his back a little. He would just go forward about two days, or maybe three, so he wouldn't seem... Well, he didn't know what it would seem to her, but he supposed he didn't want to seem desperate. Or worse, lonely.

The Doctor stared down at the controls. He would rather study each knob and crank of the console than deal with his feelings at the moment. 

The TARDIS shook, and he held on to the edge of the console so he wouldn't be sent flying over it. That had happened loads of times before, and it hadn't felt too good, either.

The piece in the center of the time rotor continued to hover up and down as the TARDIS made its beautiful sound for much longer than it should have. He frowned a bit as he hit a button, trying to get it to land.

The TARDIS shook once more before finally landing. The Doctor let go of the console and walked over to the other side, flicking the scanner switch.

He wrinkled his nose a bit as the scanner showed nothing but static.

With a slight roll of his eyes, he walked to the doors and opened them, ducking his head out to see. He stepped out, his feet landing on a sleek grey floor.

It took just a quick lick of the air to know that this was thousands of years in the future, which was definitely a bit more than what he had wanted to go forward for. It was also definitely not Earth. Too many non-Earth particles were floating in the air. It tasted familiar, but he couldn't quite put his finger on what it was or where he last tasted it.

He was in some sort of corridor, and a sign with directions was posted on the wall.

    Hamartia Droxy Containment Facility.
    Court Room.... Floor One.
    Security Offices... Floor Two.
    Holding Room... Floor Three.

The Doctor furrowed his brow, then  headed towards the lift so he could go up tp the holding room. There was, so far, no one trying to stop him, so that was a sure sign that he shouldn't stop.

The lift required an ID to get in, so he just pulled his sonic screwdriver out of his pocket and pointed it at the scanner. The doors of the lift opened; he stepped in and jabbed his thumb into the button.

It only took a few seconds for the lift to reach the floor. The doors opened, and five armed men were already waiting to greet him.

The Doctor grinned. This would be fun.

"You're coming with us," the man in front of the group ordered. "You're unauthorized." He had a strange, haggard appearance, even underneath his dark helmet. Usually, the Doctor noted, prison guards were tidier than that, usually kept to certain standards of appearance like soldiers were.

"How the hell did he even get up here?" one of the other men whispered.

The Doctor raised his eyebrows a bit. "I do have authorization! Look!" He pulled out his psychic paper and flashed it at them. They immediately lowered their guns, eyes wide.
"I'm the prison inspector, and I'm here for a surprise inspection. Looks like you lot are prepared for any break-ins. I would hope you're prepared for any break-outs." He shoved the paper back into his pocket.

"We were told you weren't coming for another month, sir," the rough-looking man in front said nervously.

The Doctor stepped past him. "Well, knowing when I'd be here would defeat the whole purpose of a 'surprise inspection,' now wouldn't it?"

"Y-yes, sir," the man said as he and the others followed the Doctor through the corridor. "I suppose you'd like to see Director Emlyn Vomer, first, sir."

"Right, I would," the Doctor said, "She's just right around the corner, in't she?"

"Yes, sir," the guard said.

"Good."

He reached a door that was helpfully labeled, Director E. Vomer. Funny last name, Vomer was, as that was a word for a bone in the skull, at least on Earth. Human names and languages had obviously changed loads. He gave a knock on the door.

"Come in," a voice called.

The Doctor opened the door and stepped in. She looked up at him with startled violet eyes. She donned a professional-looking suit, and horned glasses. A classic look.

"Who are you?"

"I'm the prison inspector," he told her, flashing the psychic paper again. "I'm here to inspect."

Emlyn faltered a bit as she stood up from her desk slowly. She was a bit taller than the Doctor, and probably only his height without heels on. "I should have been told by the head of the department that you would be here soon. No matter, though."

"Good, I'll get right to it," he said with a nod.

"Are you sure you wouldn't like to tour the rest of the Hamartia Droxy Containment Facility first, sir?" Emlyn asked slowly.

Ah. She was stalling. He now intended to find out exactly why.

"Nope. I want to see what I came for. The prison," the Doctor said.

Emlyn rolled back her shoulders and pulled a card out of a drawer of her desk. She brushed past him with a sharp exhale. "Right this way, sir."

That was more like it. Usually, people were a lot more reluctant to let him into places, and he would have to be a bit more pushy to get in.

They started down the corridor, trailed by the guards from earlier. The Doctor had already mentally checked for a way to escape, should the need arise. He'd duck, roll, or whatever to get past the guards, and get to the emergency staircase at the other end of the corridor.

Emlyn scanned her card by the door and opened it, allowing the Doctor in first. Holographic displays lined the walls, and a table stood in the center of the room. On top of it was what appeared, at first glance, to be a model of a city.

"That's the prison?" he asked as he furrowed his brows and crossed his arms.

"Yes, sir. Hamartia Druxy in all of its glory," Emlyn said as she extended her hand towards it in a long swooping motion.

The Doctor crouched down at the table, eyes fixed on it. He pulled out his sonic and scanned it.

He squinted at the reading his sonic screwdriver gave him. Just as he thought. Miniaturization technology. So that's why the non-Earthy particles had tasted familiar to him. It had been ages since he had seen such technology and tasted the particles emitted from such devices.

He stood up straight. "Has there been constant monitorization of it?" he asked as he pointed a bit at the holographic displays. No one was seated at them, even though they were on.

Emlyn shifted a bit on her feet. "No, sir, but certain technologies allow us to know their activities twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. We are notified whenever conflicts and or disputes occur."

"Ah." He looked up at a device in the corner of the room. It looked a bit like one of the extendable lamps one would see in a dentist's office just beside the reclined chair. "Is that the miniaturization machine?"

The woman gave a nod. "Yes, sir."

The Doctor gave it a scan with his sonic. "I'm going in. For a full and proper investigation."

"I wouldn't do that if I were--"

He quickly cut her off. "I'm going in. Or would you rather be fired? I'll mark you down for improper conduct and insubordination." He used the handles to adjust it.

"Of course. Sir," Emlyn said with a sigh. "Let me bring in the miniaturization tech."

"That won't be necessary, Emlyn," the Doctor said, already fiddling with a few of the controls on the machine.

"But sir--"

He stepped in front of it after setting the beam that would transport him into the prison. With that, he disappeared.