The Lost Child

CHAPTER 3

Mr. Saller did recover, his turn around so sudden it was considered a miracle. I was just happy to hear that he was doing well and back to work. Tod came by for a box of candies before the dance after that. He mentioned again he was sorry that I wasn't invited, but I had rather he not remind me. So I shooed him off after wishing him luck. I wanted to be left alone to do anything but wallow in my self-pity.

It was late into the evening when Nim walked the wood, holding her cloak over her face to keep the chill off her cheeks. It was cold for a summer night. She smiled wryly at it, hoping it wasn't nature reflecting the shred of bitterness she felt for being alone. She'd learned that a witch's connection to nature was a personal one. It sympathized with one as if a friend and would react accordingly––even if he or she didn't wish it to.

Ignoring it, she bent down and picked an herb to be placed in her basket. As she did, the sound of music came from somewhere in the distance. Nim, resting on her knees, looked toward it. There was a haze of light coming from the village, and she knew it was the party.

She quirked her mouth to one side. She missed dancing. And she missed the entertainment of young men acting foolish for the sake of impressing her. She smiled slowly, wishing she could be there for Tod. The poor boy wanted guidance. And she couldn't offer him her ill-gained wisdom––though wisdom all the same––from outside.

She sighed, got to her feet, and turned for home. But then a sound like crying made her pause. She lowered her brow and held her breath to not make a sound as she looked about. Who was crying out here? She followed the sound, but it was so dark she almost missed the child hidden by a tree. But seeing her silhouette, she stopped a little ways from the spot and stared. She wasn't certain there was anyone there until the child sniffled.

"Hello?" She cooed to the girl, keeping close to a tree so to not alarm her.

The child gasped so the ferns she was huddled among swayed and rustled together. She sank deeper among their leaves, cowering. Nim frowned. She came to the girl and squat down, pushing the fern leaves aside so she might see her through the veil of nighttime green.

"It is all right," she said. The child looked up at her, her eyes round and scared. Nim straightened and looked about. "Where are your parents?" She wondered.

"At home," the child's voice was small in her hasty reply.

She glanced back at her. "In the village?" She put her hands on her knees and leaned forward. She wished she had a light but hadn't thought to bring one. She'd been all out of sorts since Tod left. Even her herb hunting hadn't been very successful, save the ones she could pick out by smell. The child lifted big round eyes to look at Nim and nodded. "Are you a part of Alpine? I do not recognize you." Alpine was the village her cottage was on the skirts of. It was also the last before crossing the border into the kingdom currently princessed by a Cinderella.

The girl shook her head. "Another one."

Nim wondered at her with the tilt of her head. "Other villages are far from here," she mentioned. "How long have you been alone?"

A tear fell down the girl's cheek. "Three days." Her voice trembled.

Nim felt a pain in her heart and a buzz of alarm run up her spine. "Are you lost?" She whispered.