77. This Bond

I opened my eyes slowly, listening to the soft sounds my Cicero was making in his sleep. Quiet hums and whispery laughs as whatever he dreamed of caused a quick smile to curl his lips for a moment before he sighed, his arm tightening around me as if reminding himself I was still there. Shifting carefully, my fingers tracing the patterns stitched into his side, I brushed my lips against his jaw.

"Mmm, Cicero could enjoy waking up like this more often. Although, he would prefer having a bed beneath him. The furs help, but only so much and Cicero isn't as young as he used to be," he mumbled as he slowly stretched his back, stopping when he felt the stitches tighten.

Bringing a hand down, he ran his fingers along the pattern in his side before covering my hand with his own. Finally opening his eyes, he looked down at me curled against his side, a smile playing on his lips.

"Cicero has found a new respect for how quickly his Faith moves when she dances with Cicero. How does she manage to move like that without pulling her stitches? How can she even stretch like she does without it hurting? Cicero just wants to stretch his back out and that is enough to pull them tight," he chuckled, his fingers moving again to trace at his side.

I'll take yours out once you are healed enough. I never expected you to keep them in, but you did say you wanted something pretty. Don't worry! I'll make sure they don't leave any scars! I'll make sure to have the good salve when I take them out!

"No! I... I mean, no thank you. Cicero doesn't mind the stitches. Faith made them look so nice for her Cicero, he would hate to see the effort wasted! He... Cicero likes the idea of having something more than just the ring to remind him of his Faith when she isn't next to him. He just wishes that they didn't pull so much," he pulled his lower lip between his teeth as he glanced down at my arm, his fingers moving to trace the patterns there. "Is there a secret to keeping them from doing so? Some spell or enchantment that Faith uses to keep her stitches from... well, from ripping out if she moves too quickly or stretches too far?"

You... want to keep the stitches? Do you really like them so much? Oh! If you want to keep them, then I'll put the salve on them! It'll help with the pulling issue! I just... didn't think you would want to keep them in. But if you are keeping them, then it won't matter if the skin heals around the stitches! If you keep them, then the scars left behind won't be an issue, right? Because if they come out, I can just stitch them back again!

I moved to sit up, reaching out for the pouch containing the salve kept for my stitches. Holding it in my hand, I almost wanted to smack myself. Even if it didn't do much, I could have used this on my poor Cicero earlier. It might have been enough to keep the fever away before, but at least it would ensure there was no chance of infection in the coming days.

Shaking my head at myself, I grinned and turned back to see my Jester Assassin sitting up with his sleep shirt half pulled off as he looked down at the pattern in his side. One finger traced along the feathers that stretched across his abdomen,  the crow's wings spread as if in flight.

"Why did Faith pick a crow for her Cicero?" He asked the question softly, peering up at me as he lowered his hand back down. "Cicero likes it, but he wonders at the reasoning behind it?"

Because, like a crow, you are smart and cunning. You see more than you let on to others, watching for the best opportunity to strike at your enemy. You'll never forget those who do you wrong, just as you remember those who are your friend. But most of all, like a crow, when someone goes against you, they go against the entire flock... You will never be alone again because you'll always have another crow at your side. Our flock might be small, but we'll always have each other.

Lifting the shirt I was wearing up with my empty hand, I showed him my own side, the beginnings of a black feathered wing stretching across my skin.

Now let's get the salve on your own stitches. You'll feel better once that's done.

"Oh... When did Faith start replacing those stitches? Cicero didn't see," he spoke slowly, his hand reaching out to slip under my shirt just enough to feel the threads under his fingertips. "Did Faith do this while Cicero was sleeping?"

It helped me stay awake while you were sleeping the first night. But I would have changed the stitches anyhow. I... thought it would be nice... to match...

I blushed as I opened the jar, scooping out a bit of the salve before I began spreading it across the stitches and working it into his skin.

"Ah! Cold! That's cold! Sweetling, can't you at least warm it some for your poor Cicero before you slather it across his skin?"