Chapter 17

Voices echoed through her head and Luna's eyes opened to the faint light of the fire.

Peeking down, she found herself sprawled on the table she was using the night before and she followed the voices to see the rest had already awoken.

Fluttershy was tending the fire as she chatted with her ladybug friends, Hope flipping through papers and books as she muttered to herself and Pinkie mysteriously having a cupcake that appeared out of nowhere.

Suddenly, she felt fabric caressing her skin and she pulled at it.

It was Sombra's cape.

Dazed, she turned to her side to see him lying next to her, fast asleep.

The events of last night came flooding back.

Before, she had thought Sombra to be unfeeling and callous.

She had never imagined she'd see the King of Shadows cry.

But she held him close as he did, for he had surrendered to her touch, his breaths heavy and his emotions raw.

So very raw.

But he shouldn't have done that.

He should have long left them when he got the chance. He should have lashed out at the very idea of betraying Rabia and his people. He should have tried to kill her.

But he didn't.

Instead, he returned and gave them a weapon that could kill him. Instead, he released a thousand-year-old resentment and agreed to help them. Instead, he showed her the most vulnerable and defeated parts of himself.

Instead, he was human, not a monster blinded by rage and revenge.

Luna couldn't tell whether that was good or not.

She gazed at him again. His usual slicked back raven hair had fallen forward and his body was rising and falling slowly. There is a softness to him as his face projected nothing but peace.

How very human.

She glanced away at once, feeling heat rise up her cheeks and she propped herself up to look at the assembled Heart, which glowed only a flicker of blue.

She pursed her lips.

It's a start.

They had returned back to work after...that, saying nothing of what had happened and they worked through the night on the relic silently, exchanging only a few words but their work never managed to fix it completely in the end.

It had been lacking something and both of them had no idea what. But before they could figure it out, both gave into weariness that had built up from the hours awake.

It was quite the long night.

The velvet cape weighed on her and she snapped back to reality. Her hand brushed through the material as she slowly pulled it off, feeling its soothing warmth against her fingertips.

She felt someone tap her shoulder and she looked up to see Fluttershy offering her a cup of water.

"Hope created it with her magic. It will taste a little funny though." She cautioned, handing her the cup.

Luna smiled and she turned to face Fluttershy from her chair, careful to not make a sound." Thank you."

She took a sip. " How long have you been awake?"