Wonderful Suprise

(Author's note: I edited the last chapter a little bit so there is some new information. I changed it pretty quick, but just incase I'm going to put this little note here. Happy reading!)

Christmas was a small affair. Rhodey made it back on the 23rd, Yensin and Happy popped in around noon, and Pepper came in from her flight at about 5 p.m.

But Tony was just happy they all were there. He had decorated his tree - not the big, extravagant, 20 foot one, but the five foot - with the help of Pepper the day before she left.

December 19th:

"Who puts up their Christmas tree this late?" Pepper had asked as she carefully place an ornament.

"Me, apparently."

She smiled at him and then said, "Hang on, I'll be back in a sec."

When she had left, Tony brought out an early Christmas present for her and tucked it behind his back. She walked back in with something behind her back.

"What do you have?" He asked.

"What do you have?"

"Same time?"

She nodded. "3, 2,-"

"-1." They both brought out small gifts with a laugh. Trading, they ripped open colorful packaging, not caring as it got on the floor.

Pepper's mouth was agape. "Tony-" she breathed, pulling out the necklace he bought her. It was a sapphire necklace, her birthstone. "It's beautiful."

He grinned. "I'm glad you like it."

"Well? Look at yours."

Tony turned his attention to his present, had hovering just above it as he had been watching Pepper. When he registered what it was, he smiled with pure gratitude. It was a clear ornament in blue writing (his actual favorite color) that said "Our First Christmas."

"I love it, Pep. Can we hang it together?"

"Are you sure?"

"Very sure."

Pepper took part of the string holding the ornament, other hand carefully holding her gift, and they put it on the tree together. It was front and center for everyone to see.

"Will you help me put my necklace on?"

"Of course." He smiled softly. She turned around and he brushed her hair out of the way, pulling the chain of the necklace around, extremely careful for it not to tangle in her hair. He hooked it together and gently tugged her hair out from under the chain.

Pepper turned around and kissed him on the cheek, hands on his forearms.

"Thank you." They said in sync. She giggled and leaned against him.

Present:

Pepper was doubled over laughing. Why? Because Yinsen, Tony, Rhodey, and Happy were covered head to toe in flour and a bit of frosting.

"This is going to take ages to get out of my hair." Tony grumbled, only serving to make Pepper laugh harder.

"How did I get sucked into this?" Yensin asked, arguably with the most caked on flour.

"I don't even know how it started!" Rhodey threw his hands up in exasperation, slinging the white powder everywhere.

Happy was trying to pat himself off, mumbling loudly about how Tony shouldn't have started it.

"Hey!" The genius protested.

Pepper, having gained some of her composure back, walked over to Tony. "Did you start it, dear?" She asked, wiping her finger over some of the frosting on Tony's nose and popping it in her mouth.