37. Zayn & Donnie

Start from the beginning

"You already did." Edward joked. Zayn scoffed out a light laugh. "Yeah, but you won't answer it. But, how would you feel if Marley found a few guys here attractive?"

I slap my hand to my face.

"We aren't together." Edward answers, smiling. "Why?"

"Because she's been getting a little friendly with Liam." Zayn says.

"Friends, friends." I sighs.

"That's what you think," My brother says, turning to me. "Liam could be thinking something totally different."

"Look," Edward says. "I know what I said at the airport when I dropped her off must've sounded completely idiotic of me. I told her that her and I shouldn't be together in case she finds someone else there, and I meant it. I understand that she has interests. It's why I let her go, so she wouldn't have any regrets or any hold backs. I didn't want to be the reason she put a part of her life on hold if she wants to move forward with it."

"You're too good of a man." Zayn sighs. "But, she's leading you on."

"She can't be," Edward defends. "We're only friends as of right now. If she wants anything more, we'll make things work. As of right now, she's an independent woman."

"But if you were here, would you still feel the same way?" Zayn asks.

"I don't know." Edward answers.

"Marley?"

I shrug. "Can we change the subject? It's like everything you say when you talk to me revolves around Liam."

"Because everything Liam says revolves around you." Zayn straightens up. "But, yeah. Subject change. Where's Donnie?!"

"Yeah, where's Donnie?" I ask.

"He's been here, patiently waiting to see his girlfriend." Edward answers.

"Awh, he has a girlfriend?" Zayn asks.

"Marley is his girlfriend. It's a title she's taken up to." Edward says. "For now, it'll have to stay on my phone, but we're working on making the Skype call on a big screen T.V so Donnie can see better. And speakers so he can ear Marley better."

"Ugh, my voice in speakers." I groan.

Edward smiled before turning the camera to face Donnie, the whale propping himself up on the platform with his tail moving up and down in the water to keep him there.

"Wow." Zayn whispers. "You work with that." He said it as a confirmation, not a question.

"And I miss him so much." I whine, holding on to the locket. "Did he eat today?"

"A few, but stopped and cried for hours. Riley had given him the ones he ate but refused the rest." Edward answers.

"You might have to get Riley to visit Donnie with you." I try to joke.

"Riley's scared of him."

"But he fed him?"

"He threw the fish inside from behind me. Donnie eats no more than a few before seeing you."

"That's so sad." Zayn sighs.

Donnie begins whining through my laptop speakers, his mouth parted. He slips his way back into the water only to power himself up completely on the platform. He didn't pose and he looked so sad.

"I know Riley says that he doesn't like that I took you away from Florida because Edward and his family misses you," Zayn sighs. "But this right here, hurts more. How do you feed him through a screen?"

"I beg." I say.

* * *

"He still looks sad, but at least he ate." Zayn says to me as I shut the computer off.

"Yeah," I turn in my seat to face him. "Donnie is too dependent."

"You're wonderful with him. Does he usually do what you say?"

Zayn had watched me train with Donnie, using hand motions to ask the whale to do me a trick. He always eats his treats because he knows he deserves it.

"He likes to play and be rewarded. I guess we were too worried to think of it before. We just focused on wanting him to eat."

"It was a good idea, wasn't it?" Zayn says, a smile lighting up his face.

"Yes, thank you for suggesting it." I chuckle quietly.

Zayn had come up with the idea of training Donnie and having Edward reward him. It worked and he ate three buckets tonight.

"You're welcome. I think he likes me." He sat on my bed, crossing his legs.

"I'd say so, too. He hasn't listened to command from anyone but me before. It was very entertaining."

I had taught Zayn a few hand motion tricks to put in front of the camera and Donnie did almost every one of them.

"I can't wait to visit Florida with you! Assistant Whale Trainer: Zayn Malik." He joked.

"Whale trainer by day, singer by night. Amazing and interesting combination." I praised with a nod of my head.

"That's me- Mr. Interesting Guy."

"You sure are the most mysterious one."

He laughs quietly. "Thanks for letting me be on Skype."

"Oh, well, I had no choice."

"No, you did. You could've kicked me out of your room and I couldn't have said no."

"Now you tell me!"

"You let me stay, though."

"I figured that you two were bound to meet anyway." I shrug.

"Yeah, I like Donnie."

"I meant Edward!"

"I know, I know," Zayn chuckled. "He wasn't what I expected. He's so much more.... I don't know the word for it. It's weird that he likes you enough to express it, yet he doesn't want you to be held back."

"He's understanding." I say.

"I'd never be that understanding." He smiled, then looked at the blanket under him. "Sorry that I keep bringing Liam up."

"I'm more interested in what Liam says about me all the time." I answer honestly.

"He just always wants to know how you are, where you are, what you're doing. If you're adjusting well here."

"Sounds friendly enough to me." I shrug.

"It sounds more than friendly to me."

"That's because you're my older brother."

"And you're my little sister who finds your older brothers friends attractive."

"Who wouldn't?" I scoff.