Chapter 12

"Rise and shine, Alice. Rise and shine."

"Dylan, that is literally the most annoying thing to say in the morning. Ever."

"Get up, sleepyhead. Gina dropped by in the morning."

That woke Alice up.

"She did? What did she say?"

"She didn't want to disturb you. She said she'll come again in the night."

"That's it?"

"Well, I am guessing she didn't want to tell me stuff she wants to tell you."

"Did she seem alright?"

"Nothing seemed out of the ordinary to me. She did look tired, though. That is to be expected, right? I mean, what with the work she's been doing after... you know.."

"After Sara died. You can say it, Dylan. I am hoping somebody else affirming it will help me accept it."

"I know. I am sorry. I just don't know how to help you, Alice."

"You can start by getting me breakfast?"

"Haha, yes. Sure. At your service, my lady."

Alice blushed slightly as she chuckled. Dylan left the room to get her breakfast.

Alice took the time alone to think about the story Gina told her. She didn't know what shocked her more. That Sara was not technically her mother. Or that she had a twin. Or that that twin died.
Her questions began filling her mind up and she decided to take a break from them by taking a hot shower. She smiled slightly as she saw the clothes that Dylan's mother had left for her, probably when she left for work.

Dylan's thoughts were all messed up too. He was worried about Alice. He didn't know the reason but he wanted to protect Alice with all his might. It really confused him. He had trouble opening up to people he'd known for years together and yet, here he was willing to bare his soul to the girl he's known for at the most, 36 hours.
He wanted to pity her, but he knew that was the last thing she wanted. She needed strength and strength, he would give. All of his strength.

But for now, he would cook the world's most scrumptious breakfast for her.
His mother left for work in the morning and he had plans to make Alice forget about her worries for at least a small part of the day. With this thought in mind, he turned the music up and started making his pancake batter.

"Tell me whyyyy.... Ain't nothing but a heartache. Tell me whyyyy..... Ain't nothing but a mistake. Tell me whyyy..."

"Haha that's cute."

Dylan freaked out so bad that he flung his flipper straight at Alice, which she missed, by a mere centimeter.

"OH MY GOD ALICE! DO NOT FREAK ME OUT LIKE THAT AND OH MY GOD, ARE YOU OKAY?"

"I knew it. You brought me here to hit me with your kitchen vessels and bury me in your backyard, didn't you? You're a serial killer and you're hiding from the FBI, is it?"

"Wow, that was quick! I am impressed. Now, stand straight so I can hit you with my pancake flipper and chop your body into pieces and bury you in the small patch of land behind the barn."

"Okay. I am officially creeped out. That was way too specific to be a joke."

"Hahaha, kidding. I just waste a lot of time planning the murders of a lot of people I strongly dislike."

"I knew you liked me too much to kill me."

"As much as that is true, it IS too soon to kill you. I wouldn't be dumb to kill someone whose last known location was my home, now would I?"

Alice blushed at the first part of the sentence and couldn't find a suitable comeback for the murderous part.

"I like you too, Dylan."

"I know, Alice. I know. I definitely got the message when you comfortably snuggled up to me."

"That, my dear, was.. different."

"You know it wasn't."

"Agree to disagree."

"Alright. Now, my lady, I have prepared for thy a breakfast worthy of being eaten by the royals of all kingdoms."

"Ah! My faithful servant! My wonderful cook! Thou art too sweet. What may I ask, have thy prepared?"

"Pancakes. Waffles. Bacon. Scrambled eggs. Followed by a steaming cup of hot chocolate."

"Dylan, that's too much."

"Nonsense. You need to eat. A growing girl needs her food."

"That's what my mom used to say when I refused to eat."

Alice looked down as her thoughts from earlier that morning consumed her, again.

"Alice, look at me. Talk to me, if you want."

"I do. I just don't know where to begin."

"Well, I had plans of us roaming around the town and you could be my tour guide and we could talk about anything and everything. Are you up for that?"

"That sounds amazing, Dylan. Let's do that."

"Awesome. Eat up. Get ready and the fair maiden shall take her knight in shining armour around the place, hand in hand."

"You are such a goof, Dylan."