VII

Getting ready felt strange since I was doing it alone. In the US I normally had friends with me when we got ready for a night out. I didn't really feel comfortable inviting my friends over to my Aunt's place, as it wasn't my home. 

I spent hours procrastinating before deciding to eat something and actually getting myself looking at least somewhat presentable. Thankfully Melissa would be dropping me off at the fair on the pier and I did not have to bother anyone to pick me up as I usually would do at home. 

"Alexandria, what time would you like to leave?" Melissa called from downstairs as I apply some make up. "Could we leave at 17:30? If you don't mind?"

"Yes, sweetie I'm sure! Do you need Vic to pick you up afterwards? He's working late tonight." Smiling to myself at her kindness I agree, thanking her and continuing with my make up.

--

" Thank you so much Melissa! I'll see you later!" I step out of the car and close the door, waving at her. I turn as soon as I can't see her anymore, making my way over to my friend group. 

" Hey guys!" I smile and step into the misshapen  circle that they formed to talk among themselves. " Hey! Can I ask you a question?" Michael steps closer to me with a rather serious look on his face. "Go ahead, is everything okay?" He nods and pulls me away from the group. "How do you know that lady?" I frown, "She's my aunt. Remember I told you about us moving here because my cousin passed away?" 

His eyes widen and he goes slightly more pale than he already is. "Oh uh it's nothing important I just thought that I recognised her." 

"Okay... Should we get back to the rest of the group?" 

He nods, stepping in front of me. I thought I saw him give Luke a small nod, but my attention was quickly shifted to Calum who just now made his appearance, a girl clinging to his arm. I felt my chest close up for some strange reason, my face instantly heating up. I looked over at Amy who was already looking at me with a pained expression.

"Hey guys! This is Maye. I met her a few weeks ago." He smiles at her, then looks straight at me. I force myself to smile and greet her, but my mind goes completely fuzzy.

"So, should we get going on some rides?" Ashton claps his hands together with excitement. Everyone agrees and Michael immediately wants to go on one of the scariest rides. Everyone nods in agreement as I stare up at the monster of a coaster before me. "Alex, you joining us?" Michael looks over at me and offers me his hand. I am not able to speak, but he convinces me. " Don't worry I'll be there with you the whole time, holding your hand." He jokes and wiggles his eyebrows as he squeezes my hand.

The queue for the ride was quite long, which surprised me a lot. Michael would not shut up about other things trying to get me to ignore my nerves. All I could think about was Calum. The way his arm hugged Maye closer to his side. The way he would look at her every time he laughed. I also couldn't help but notice him looking over at me and Michael every now and then. 

What is he playing at?

"So then he lost and threw the controller across the room. He didn't talk to me for a week after that." Luke scoffed at Michael's story. "You didn't tell her about the fact that you cheated."  I laughed at the boys in front of me and looked down at my hand intertwined with Michael's. I smiled squeezing it, just as the gate opened for us to take our seats on the ride.

"Do you want to sit in the front?" I nodded, still not able to say anything out of pure fear. My stomach was flipping intensely. We fastened ourselves into the ride and I instantly grabbed Michael's hand as soon as we were both done. "Don't be scared, it's going to be great." I nodded closing my eyes as soon as the ride started.