Express your Feelings

Ben's POV

I searched up Cynthia Mirgher. I clicked on her username, revealing millions of her photos. She had almost a million followers and more than 300 posts. I clicked on the very recent one to get a close-up view of her.

Cynthia Mirgher was even prettier than I thought she would be. She had piercing violet eyes that I had never seen before in my life. She looked really nice, but I had to remind myself that people weren't always what they seemed.

She had beautiful light brown hair that hung loose below her shoulders all the way down to her back. She was smiling in the picture, standing outside a huge mansion-probably hers. She displayed rows of perfectly white teeth. Her perfect skin and perfect hair was so impeccable.

She wore designer jeans with rhinestones on them and a flowing top with more stones and glitter on it. She looked like she was wearing no makeup in the picture.

"Wow," I muttered to myself before scrolling down on more photos. There were just more pictures of her until I finally found Jamie Mirgher.

He had the same yes and hair as his sister. They both looked so much like one another, Jamie in jeans and a hoodie that read Does it look like I'm rich?

Jamie also seemed like a nice person. I scrolled through a bunch of his pictures and found Lucio in one of them.

He was a big burly man, about six feet tall. He looked very overprotective of his children. He did not look like the kind of person who would invite me over for dinner. He was surrounded by not one, not two but nine bodyguards, all carrying heavily armed weapons.

"I'm going to go sleep," Erica declared, unbuckling her seatbelt, getting up from her seat and heading to the bedroom. I was sleepy as well, so I got up to go as well.

Thankfully, there were two seperate beds on the far corners of the room. I placed my phone on the stand, plugged it in so it would charge and curled up on the bed. Before I knew it, I was fast asleep.

XXX

"...so I'll make some pancakes," Erica's voice came from outside, waking me up. I yawned and glanced at the clock. It really didn't make sense, so I got out of bed and went to the small kitchen-like place on the plane. Erica was there, eating pancakes. There was a plate with some for me as well across from her.

"How much more time until we land?" I asked. Erica glanced at the clock.

"Uh, somewhere around five hours," she replied, then went back to her food.

We ate in silence, then I decided to break the ice. "How long did you sleep?"

"An hour," she replied. "You were asleep for nine hours."

I mentally slapped myself on the forehead. I was so exhausted that I had crashed into bed. I finished my plate of pancakes and placed the disposable plate in the trash can. Then I pulled out a book and began reading. I heard Erica put her plate in as well and she strapped in too. We were high above the ocean, so all I could see out the window as blue.

"Why were you searching up Cynthia and Jamie on social media?" Erica asked me all of a sudden.

"Because I wanted to know how they looked so I could get a mindset," I replied. Erica was deep in thought, then she nodded thoughtfully.

"Makes sense," she replied, then went back to her book. I went back to mine as well.

"Hey Erica?" I asked. She turned around and faced me.

"What?"

"Did you really mean what you meant to me at the airport?" I asked.

Erica sighed. She knew I was trying to pull emotion out of her. She knew I wanted her to break the icy wall that held her in.

I had always hoped that Erica got close enough around me to drop her guard, but she never did.

"I-It-look, it's complicated," she said. The exact same thing she said to me in the Pentagon a long time ago. But then she was on truth serum. Now she wasn't. I took that as an improvement. "I don't-It's-" Erica sighed, then put her head in her hands.

"You can tell me," I said, getting up from my seat and crossing the plane to her side and sitting one seat down from her. "Right?"

"I guess," Erica said, then turned to me. "The thing is, I'm scared."

I sat up a little straighter, both surprised by the fact itself and the fact that she had admitted it.

"What do you mean?"

"I trusted someone once, and you know what happened," she said. "I don't want that to-"

"Erica," I said, looking at her in the eye. "You can trust me and you know that."

Erica smiled. One of her rare smiles. "Okay, Ben. Here's the thing. As much as I know I want you, I know I can't have you because of my family."

"I want you too, Erica," I replied, taking in her hands in my own. She didn't resist my touch, neither did she yank them back. She just stared into my eyes.

Her icy eyes were full of emotion, something I hadn't expected. We both just sat there.

Erica casually leaned in a little closer to me. My body automatically leaned forward as well. Erica inched closer to me and we were only a foot away from each other. I prepared myself for what was coming next.

Except it didn't. Erica didn't kiss me. She just stayed there. She looked like she was about to kiss me, but then she shook her head and turned away from me.

"No, Ben," she said, but her voice was filled with longing. "I can't."

"Why?"

"I need to stay icy." I could tell she really didn't want to, but she didn't have a choice. Her grandfather would be disappointed in her.

Just then, the plane dipped downward. The island of Australia came into view. We began our descent. I could hear the door to the cockpit open, so I hurried over to the opposite end of the plane so Alexander wouldn't see us together. Erica's face immediately went expressionless.

"Okay, in about ten minutes we'll land in Australia," Alexander said. "I need you both to be responsible for your own luggage."

He headed back to the cockpit, and I turned to Erica. "Your dad's changed. A lot."

"He has," Erica said. "A lot. He's all serious and competent and, it's like he's a new person."

"Is that a good thing?"I asked.

Erica rubbed her shoe on the carpet. "I guess, in a way. He's definitely become more competent, but then he's all overprotective and restricting. With my mom always off to Britain, I don't really have a choice. He takes the role of both my parents."

"I'm sorry," I said, actually meaning it.

"No, I'm sorry," she said. "You can't even see your parents. They don't even know about you being a spy. My parents are right here."

I nodded glumly. "I guess you're right."

The plane hit the runway with a soft thud and came to a slow stop. We got out and grabbed our luggage. The door opened, revealing the bridge that led us to the airport. Alexander went first and we followed.

This was going to be perfect.

Thanks a lot for reading! I try to make an author's note every chapter, but this is just a little awkward.