Disappearance and Surveillance

Ben's POV

Zoe: COME ON! Where r u

Me: On my way

I grabbed my phone and exited my dorm. It was thirteen minutes to six, and I needed to be at the gym. I picked up my pace and caught up with Mike, who was also headed there.

"I'm pretty sure the Ice Queen's going to win some kind of a bravery award or whatever," Mike said as we turned the corner and entered the gym.

"Yeah, maybe," I said absently. I was scanning the crowd on the bleachers for Erica. There was a small podium where our teachers, Alexander Hale and the principal were seated.

I followed Mike to an empty spot next to Zoe. he sat next to her and I sat to his left.

"So glad you could come," Zoe said excitedly as Alexander Hale took the mike in his own hands. He waved to the crowd and gave them one of his million-dollar smiles. The crowd erupted into cheers and waved back. There were shrieks and oohs and aahs.

If only they knew, I thought, and by the look on my friends' faces, they were also thinking the same. Alexander looked so debonair in his three piece suit and he charmed most of the girls in my school.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the CIA Academy of espionage," Alexander began, "we mark another successful school year that has ended. Now all of you will move a rank up. First years will be second years, second will be third, and so on. We are also recruiting a new set of first years, and our eighth year students will be graduating tomorrow, which you are most welcome to come see."

There was another round of applause. I scanned the crowd again, searching for Erica. I couldn't see her at all. I looked at Alexander, trying to spot Erica somewhere near the teachers. She was not there either. I scanned the doorway, but she was absolutely nowhere. I glanced at Alexander again, and now the teachers were moving on to awards.

Erica? I mouthed to Alexander, who had returned to his and looked at us. His eyebrows rose up in confusion. He scanned the crowd as well. Where? He mouthed back. I shrugged.

"I'll be right back," I told Mike and Zoe, then made my way down and slipped around the corner. Alexander noticed me, then spoke to the principal before slipping out of his seat as well.

"Benjamin," Alexander said as soon as we were flattened in the middle of the bleachers. The noise of all the stomping, cheering and clapping of my peers was so loud that I could barely hear him. "Where's my daughter?"

"I don't know," I said. "I figured she would be here, but I can't find her anywhere."

"She might be preparing for tomorrow," Alexander suggested.

I shook my head. "Erica wasn't in her room. There was no sound coming from her room."

Alexander grew worried. "Are you sure?"

"I'll go check," I replied, then exited the gym as fast as I could. Alexander returned to his seat.

I turned at the corner and headed down the hallway to Erica's dorm. I had only been there once, and I had seen Erica's human side. She had blue blankets, throw pillows and kitten posters. She had me swear not to say anything to anyone under the penalty of death.

"Erica?" I called out softly, knocking on her door. There was no answer. I knocked again, just a little harder. There was still no answer. I slowly turned the doorknob and the door opened, much to my surprise. This worried me. Erica always had her door locked.

"Erica?" I called out again, entering her room, then softly closing it behind me. Her room, which was somehow impeccably neat as always, had a mess of papers on her desk. I went through them, but all of them were blank pieces of lined paper.