Just Another day...

Ben's POV

"Now, everyone, you are free to go! Have an amazing summer vacation! Stay back if you need me to give you summer course information," Professor Crandall announced with a big grin. Papers flew in the air as the students of my class put their finals on the desk and ran out of the classroom. Excited chatter filled the hallways.

The year was finally over. Everyone was looking forward to a long two months of summer vacation. Our finals results would come to us within a week, so we would know if we were moving on to the next rank or not.

"Ben, are you excited? Two months of free time! No classes, no homework, no nothing!" my best friend, Zoe Zibbell exclaimed in my ear. I nodded. Even though I had a horrible overall in Self-preservation, everything else had worked out perfectly. It had also been three whole months since we had returned from our last mission, Operation Screaming Vengeance. Everything was back to normal and classes resumed.

What I was really dying to do was go meet up with my crush for a very long time, Erica Hale. She was one of the smartest, most talented and competent spies I had ever met. She descended from Nathan Hale himself. Her grandfather, Cyrus Hale, and her parents, Catherine and Alexander Hale, had also been on the missions we had previously encountered.

"I'm going to the west wing," I told Zoe, and I broke away from her. I made my way through the crowd of students running to their dorms and found Erica standing in a corner with a smirk on her face.

"What?" I asked as soon as I caught up to her. Erica smiling was one of the rarest things ever. She was as emotionless as a piece of paper. She rarely ever showed any emotions at all. I didn't even know a person could even be that cold and icy.

But Erica had such captivating eyes. Her icy blue eyes spoke up for her. At times they would be so icy the temperature would drop, and at other times they would be calm. Erica would be calm even if someone threw a bomb at her. She would ever so calmly sidestep them and launch a fury of kicks and punches at the bad guys. And that hair. Her dark hair, so dark it was lustrous, would shine every time she went out in the sun. Her whole face captivated me; mesmerized me.

I wasn't the only one who had a crush on her. Almost all the boys in the school had a massive crush on Erica. She always kept to herself, and she was never bothered.

Recently, on some of my previous missions, Erica had briefly opened up to me about herself, but they were very brief. Once she even kissed me, but that was under high-stress circumstances. Erica had told me that she wasn't ready for a relationship at all, so I let it be. Though I always longed for a relationship. I always told myself that I should be happy that she was at least opening up briefly, something that was very, very unlike her.

"I'm amused at how you ran all the way across the west wing just to find me," she said. Although she looked serious, I could hear the playful tone in her voice as she spoke. Only someone who knew Erica very well would be able to hear that tone.

"Are you excited for summer vacation?" I asked, hoping for a yes. I knew it wouldn't be a yes, because Erica always spent her breaks and weekends doing surveillance, homework, schoolwork, studying or something else like that.

"Not really," she said, crashing my hopes. "I still have to finish memorizing the geology, history, culture, language and everything else about every country in the world."

"I thought you were done!" I exclaimed. She shook her head.

"I'm still on Ukraine," she replied, fidgeting with her nails as she spoke. "I still have a lot of memorizing to do."

You really need some other hobbies, I thought to myself. Erica somehow seemed to read my mind, and she raised her eyebrows at me questioningly. I shook my head.