IX XIV MMXIV

I.     I knew of you.

        Word of the mouth was that your devilish grin could render a girl helpless, make her forget all she's known her entire life. An old friend whispered to my ear about the number of hearts you left in your wake without a thought. I listened, mouth turning up in an amused smile.

      Oh yes, they warned me about you.

      The first time your gaze caught mine across the cafeteria room, you held it. Your eyes glittered with something I couldn't quite comprehend. Your lips moved to talk to the boy beside you, but all the while your eyes were fixed on mine.

     So this is the boy they've been talking about, I mused. You were beautiful. With light brown spiky hair, dark brown eyes and full pink lips, you were every girl's dream.

      Though I felt my cheeks heat at the weight of your stare, I kept my cool. I smiled at you, my gaze daring you to speak. Your grin widened when I did. I suppose it was surprise that glittered in your eyes. I felt my stomach clench and my pulse quicken. Before I could analyse and react to such, I felt a sharp nudge on my rib (I should've ignored it.)

                "Ow!" I yelped, turning my gaze to my best friend Janine.

              She visibly rolled her eyes at me. "Don't even think about it. He'll do nothing more but add you the heaping pile of girls he has."

             I laughed. I laughed because I believed her. God, I believed her. "Like I would ever. You know me, Jan. Boys like him," I shuddered in revulsion (I shouldn't have.)

  You cornered me to my locker before my Spanish class.

I raised a brow when I saw you leaning on my locker. "Excuse me."

You didn't move. Instead, you gave me that cocky smirk. God, you were infuriating. "Hey."

         "Aren't you gonna move?" I asked you, a little bit annoyed. I was going to be late. Seniorita Hernandez hated late comers.

       You crossed your arms on your chest. I quickly glanced at the muscles that flexed in the process. My breath caught on my throat when you laughed, obviously seeing how I checked you out.

        "Dude, i'm going to be late for class." I gave you an exasperated look but you just continued to grin at me. "What do you want?"

"I'm Connor Grant," you told me instead. "I believe we haven't been introduced."

I gaped at you. You were so cocky. "Not interested in giving my name to strangers."

       Your brow shot up to your hairline. "You don't know me?" You asked incredulously, like it was so impossible.

      I did know of you. I just never told you so as not to feed your ever inflating ego. I glared at you. You smiled at me instead.

          "Listen here mister. I'm not interested in you. Not now, not ever. I know about your ways with women," I jabbed a finger at your chest. If it were possible, your grin just got wider. Something flared in your eyes.

     "If you're not gonna move, then I might as well get going." I huffed and turned around, walking away.

   "I'm going to get your number one day soon, Maddy Karp!" you yelled. Your voice was so loud the whole floor heard you. Everybody started teasing me then.

   They all warned me about you.

           **

                  I brought you home for the first time three weeks later. That was two weeks of you asking for my number. I never thought you had that much patience. All the girls at my grade obviously thought the same too. For an entire week we hung out and became friends. You asked me out last night, and I dared you to meet my father if you wanted to go out with me so badly.