21 No Comfort in the Shade of the Shadows Thrown

Start from the beginning

"Nope. You're getting a tit punch."

"Boy, you've really got people fooled into thinking you're the villa sweetheart."

"I never claimed to be anything of the sort. I say fuck an awful lot to be anyone's sweetheart. And I've called Bobby a bellend twice."

"Twice? I only remember the one time," Bobby said.

"Oh yeah. The other time was in my head."

He let go of her. "Okay, no more cuddles for you."

She laughed and sat up. A phone pinged. Priya picked hers up and stared at it. Her eyes widened and she sat up. "Guys, I got a text!"

Everyone came running.

"'Islanders, new boys Lucas and Henrik have each chosen three girls to take on dates. The first girls chosen are...'"

Hope's phone beeped. "Oh my gosh, it's me! I'm going for a drink with Lucas!"

Still sitting between his knees, Lili's phone pinged as well. She read the message slowly. "I'm going on a date with Henrik." She looked more puzzled than excited.

What was that about? She'd been shocked earlier when Lucas said he was interested too. Why would any of this surprise her? She knew her worth, didn't she? Lili was still looking at her phone and Bobby studied the planes of her heartbreakingly beautiful face. The longer he looked at her, the dizzier he got, as if he were dropping from a great height, his heart plummeting into his stomach like an ice covered rock. She was smart and gorgeous and funny. Pure perfect. And for some reason she was with him. No. Not for some reason. The only reason.

Because she didn't know she could do better.

Fuck. That hurt.

Hope grabbed her arm. "Yes! Let's go get ready!"

Lili looked his way. He gave her an encouraging smile as Hope dragged her away.

He searched for—and held onto—his chill. It was Henrik. He was way too dumb for Lili and she was definitely not his type. Bobby didn't know everything about her, but he knew that she was frightened of bugs and hated camping. He couldn't imagine her doing survival training. She'd perish without cupcakes and a place to plug in her iPod. Nothing to worry about there.

He didn't see her before she left, so while she was gone, he had plenty of time to not worry. He tried talking to the boys but they were in a panic over the new guys and just wanted to talk about ways to solidify their relationships. So he wandered over to Marisol who was sitting at the edge of the pool, beside Priya and Lottie.

"Look at all these gorgeous ladies and only one Bobby to snog them all," he announced.

Lottie laughed and patted the space between herself and Marisol. He sat and dipped his legs in the cool water. "What are you lot talking about? Please don't say the dates."

"Dates," Lottie said. "Sorry."

Bobby sighed and flopped onto his back. She patted his forehead.

Priya cleared her throat. "Noah didn't look very upset about Hope going out with Lucas, did he?"

"No," Marisol said. "But to be fair, I suspect if the villa caught fire Noah still wouldn't change expressions. He's such an interesting case."

Lottie flopped backward, matching Bobby's pose. "Who else do you think will get a date?"

"You," Priya answered, as she stretched like a lioness. "Henrik said he had his eye on you. And I might get one as well. It felt like Lucas gave me a few looks."