Chapter Two

Elizabeth's phone pings followed by Jay's phone. They get them out of their pocket and look at them before looking up at each other. 'I'll put Harper back in her cot.' Jay hands Harper back to Elizabeth who puts Harper back in the cot.

'Mommy, what's going on?' Aaron questions.

'Mommy and Jay have to go back to work.' She tells him as they walk through to the kitchen. 'Jay and I have to go back to work.' Elizabeth tells Callum. She walks to the window and looks out. 'Holy shit.' She whispers. Jay walks over to her and also looks out. There is a thick black cloud of smoke slowing rising over Chicago. 

'We better get there.' Jay tells Elizabeth. Callum joins them.

'What's going on?' Callum questions. 

'Massive fire at a warehouse. Apparently, there was an underground rave going on. There's gonna be a lot of casualties and a lot of heat on us to figure out what happened and why.' Jay responds. 

'We'll take your car.' Elizabeth looks at Jay. She turns back around and kneels down in front of Aaron. 'Be good for daddy, okay?' 

'Okay.' Aaron nods. They then hug. 'Be safe, mommy.' He tells her as they part. 

'I will.' She kisses the top of his head before standing up and kissing Callum. 'Don't wait for me.' She tells him. 'This is most likely gonna be an all-night kind of thing.' She kisses him once more. 'I'll see you tomorrow.' She turns to Jay. 'Let's go.'

~

Ten minutes later, Jay is pulling up at the fire. He gets out of the car with Elizabeth and they walk up to the command centre where Voight, Hailey, Adam, Kim and Kevin are waiting. 

'Do we know what happened?' Jay asks.

'No.' Voight shakes his head.

'This can't be happening again.' Adam sighs.

'Something similar happened in 2017, right?' Elizabeth queries.

'Yeah.' Jay nods. 'The daughter of a late colleague was killed in it alongside 38 other people.' 

'Cheif Boden is in charge, Halstead, Maxwell, I want you two to go and speak to him and see if they have any idea as to how this started.' Voight orders. Elizabeth and Jay nod and walk off. 

'Cheif Boden is-' Elizabeth starts, hinting at Jay.

'Battalion Cheif of firehouse 51. If he's in charge, chances are his firehouse was first on the scene.' Jay tells her. He spots Boden taking to Captain Tom Van Meter from the Office of Fire Investigation and the three officers of Firehouse 51: Captain Matthew Casey, Luitenant Kelly Severide and Luitenant Christopher Herrmann. 'Cheif?' Jay interrupts them. 

'We were just going to come and find you guys.' Boden says. 

'This is Detective Elizabeth Maxwell, she's new to intelligence.' Jay introduces Elizabeth. He turns to Elizabeth. 'This is Cheif Wallace Boden, Captain Matthew Casey, Luitenant Christopher Herrmann and Luitenant Kelly Severide from Firehouse 51 and Captain Tom Van Meter from OFI.' 

'Nice to meet you.' Elizabeth nods as she shakes their hands. They all nod as if to say "you too".

'Do you have any idea as to how to fire started?' Jay questions. 

'The building was condemned by the city for faulty wiring so our guess is that it's an electrical fire that got out of hand.' Van Meter says. 'We won't know the official cause until we investigate.' 

'What time did the call come in?' Elizabeth asks. 

'About an hour ago.' Kelly replies. Elizabeth looks at her watch.