Ch. 22 ✿ Escape

"Welcome home, Master L/N.  Y-you look tense.  Could I--"

"Get out of my way."  The man shoved Namjoon to the side as he marched up the stairs.  "I need a word with my daughter.  And you'd better not get in the way of it."

Namjoon looked between his two empty hands before sprinting for the kitchen.  He grabbed the small metal tray that held the tall glass of alcohol.  With wide eyes, he chased behind his boss as he was already nearing the top of the staircase.

"Sir, I believe she's sleeping!  Ow-"  Namjoon tripped up the stairs, smashing his foot into the step he was supposed to use next, nearly spilling the glass from its tray.

"Y/N!!!!!!!!"  The man's voice boomed across the halls, echoing along with the stomping of his shoes.

He grabbed the door and rattled it in his hand, but he grunted when he realized that it wouldn't open.

"You KNOW you're not supposed to lock your door!  Did your little FRIEND tell you to hide from me?  HA!  You don't think I have a key for your room?  You're so STUPID!"  He threw a hard punch at the door before he started laughing and walking away.

"Please, sir.  Listen t--"

"NAMJOON! I SWEAR TO GOD, if you don't stop GETTING IN MY WAY I'm going to BASH your pretty FACE in.  NOW, MOVE!!!  I need that k--"

"Would you like a drink?"

Namjoon spat out his question quickly, forcing the articulation to sound as casual as possible.  He gritted his teeth as he watched as his boss was soothed by just the sight of the glass.  It disgusted him.  The man raised an eyebrow before snatching the glass from the tray.

"Sure.  You know I'll need it."  He pulled the glass up to his face, pausing before it reached his lips.  "It's hard to believe that you grew up alongside Y/N.  You turned out much better than she did."  He chuckled, pressing the cup against his lip.  "You know I'm stronger when I'm drunk.  You must really want to see her get what she deserves, don't you?"

"...Yes, I would."  Namjoon agreed with his words, but not in the same context as they were originally implied.

Namjoon stood silently, watching with a pale face as the man began to chug the full glass, consuming every last drop of the sedative-poisoned drink.

He exhaled after finishing, looking at Namjoon with dark eyes.  He took one step towards him, about to place the cup back onto the tray, when he paused.  The man's eyebrows twitched slightly and his head tilted slightly to the side.  Namjoon swallowed as he watched him drop the glass, the pieces shattering across the marble floors.

The man's eyes rolled to the back of his head as his legs gave out from underneath him.  Namjoon grabbed his waist and pulling him up enough to pull one of his limp arms around his shoulder.  His heart thudded in his chest, barely believing what he had just done.  He dragged him across the hallway, kicking the door open to the master bedroom.  He laid his boss' limp body onto the bed.  Breathing heavily, Namjoon pulled the covers over him.

"I don't know if you can hear me...  But ever since my father died, I looked up to you for that figure I lost."  Namjoon mumbled to the unconscious man on the bed.  "You were stubborn, but deep down, you were nice.  An intimidating man with a soft spot.  And you could have stayed that way.  But you took one sip and then another until it ruined you.  You gave your life away to alcohol.  And you lost your morals and sense of self-control along with it.  Whether you meant to or not, you've hurt the people you love and left them with scars that may never heal."  Namjoon swallowed, in an attempt to keep himself from crying.  "I hope you find it in you to change.  I hope you find a way to make a new life for yourself.  Because when you wake up..."  He pulled himself out from his jacket and placed it on the man's desk as a symbol of his resignation.  "You'll find that you've lost everyone now, sir."