Chapter XIX - Arienne

Chapter 19, here it is!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The last few days drift by in a dream of ecstatic bliss. The weather clears up and returns to it's former radiant sunshine. The guards resume their usual position of guarding us from afar, but on the morning of our last day, Joffrey sends one ahead to inform the people of Kings Landing that we will be returning today.

That last day, we're wary because of how close we are drawing to the citadel. The spies of Cersei, Lord Varys and Margaery will be in range now, ready to pick up on us sharing a horse or kissing by the river. So we sit an acceptable distance away from each other and I always call him 'Your Grace' rather than Joffrey as I've become accustomed to.

After that rainy night, Joffrey hasn't tried to touch me again. He claims that it was a mistake for him to take advantage of me like that, no matter how much I insist he wasn't. Every time I try to kiss him, he pulls away before it goes too far.

But I can feel in my bones that I have conceived our three children already. To think that they are inside of me now is strange and daunting, yet I feel happier than I ever have done before. I no longer feel alone as I once did, now I know that I have 3 little people who will always keep me company.

I don't tell Joffrey about my pregnancy, not wanting to get his hopes up if I am wrong. But I know I'm correct. Though it has barely been 3 days, I know that my dream was not lying and in 9 months, I would be Queen of the Seven Kingdoms and mother of Kaspian, Aglaia and Phias.

Just before we reach Kings Landing, having changed back into our fine court clothes and the guards having rejoined us, Joffrey kisses my forehead and whispers so softly that only I can hear, "give me a week and I'll meet you at the altar." I don't have time to reply before we leave the forest and are on the open road that leads into the city.

Our horses speed up into a soft trot and I fall behind Joffrey, riding as his subject, no longer his equal. He doesn't say a word as we reach the gates and enter the city.

It's quiet today, being a Sunday most people will be resting after the week of work and preparing for the week ahead. But a few people still manage to come out of their houses and greet us from our trip. I hear a few shouts of 'Your Grace!' but most of the cheers are directed towards me. It's weird to think that soon they'll be calling me 'Your Grace' too.

Whereas the idea of being Queen would excite most girls, it fills me with dread. I've seen what happened to Sansa and Margaery and of course heard what happened to Cersei and how her husband preferred any other woman to her. The danger that comes with the role is also particularly daunting, knowing that I will have enemies and there is nothing I'll be able to do but protect my children. But I don't have a choice, I love Joffrey and this is the only way us to be together. So I will be the faithful wife and queen that I must be.

Queen Arienne Baratheon.

A smile perches on my lips as we wind our way through the city, making our way towards our destination, the Red Keep, where everyone will most likely be waiting for us. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't terrified about facing Margaery, and even worse, Zach. He'd be devastated when he learnt about Joffrey and I.

A pang in my stomach reminds me of the triplets inside, and that I must think about them now, not Zach or Margaery or anybody else for that matter. Even Joffrey must come second to them.

The Red Keep looms ominously and I strike up a conversation with the guard next to me, chatting about how I can't wait to have a bath and scrub off all of the dirt from the past week. Sensing that him replying may help me in some way, he makes a remark about how soft the water in Kings Landing is, unlike the harsh river water of the Riverlands, from which he hails. I ask him what it's like in the Riverlands and we appear to have been conversing for a long while as we trot into the courtyard of the Red Keep.