Chapter V - Joffrey

I thought I'd try something new, a chapter from a different point of view. Hopefully this will introduce Joffrey, Cersei, other important characters in King's Landing to those who havn't seen the TV show or read the books. This is the first time that Arienne arrives in King's Landing, and meets Joffrey. I thought telling it from his point of view, then hers, would make things more interesting.

For those of you who don't know, Joffrey is a cruel, spoilt, reckless idiot who takes joy in hurting and killing innocent people. Though he is handsome, and has the Lannister/Baratheon name to use as a weapon, no woman in the right mind would marry him, apart from Margaery of course, but she doesn't really understand what she's getting herself into. 

Anyway, comment, tell me if you liked this new part, and thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Rolling my eyes, I tap my fingers on the crossbow that rests on my lap. This man before me, a stablehand, probably the same age as myself, not that I care, is begging hopelessly on the floor. I try to recall why he is here, begging for my mercy, then I remember that he's my stablehand, charged with caring for my horses. So what has he done wrong?

I rack my brains, until I remember from the list that Maester Pycelle read out in that croaking drawl of his. He's been arrested on suspicion of stealing one of my horses, and selling it on. A smirk creeps onto my lips, and the man seems to realise that it is no use to continue begging.

I'm not exactly known for being merciful.

One of my kingsguard, Ser Loras Tyrell, brother of my future wife Margaery, strikes the man across the face roughly with the back of his hand. I'm bored now, and wave my hand for him to be taken away. I don't care what happens to him. Maybe I'll have him tortured, have his tongue cut out and fed to his dogs whilst he watched. Maybe i'd make him eat it. I don't really care.

They drag him out of the room, and Grand Maester Pycelle again begins to speak. "Your Grace, I have just recieved news that Ser Urbanos Chestell, Lord of Syrspear, is outside with his family and is awaiting your greeting. Shall I bring them in?"

I nod, vaguely remembering the name of the man that my mother had asked me to bring here. There are so many Lords, I don't care to remember them all. Maybe this knight will make himself forgettable, like the other's. Maybe not, we'll have to see.

The doors of my Iron Throne Room are flung open by the men who guard them, and a group of people creep in. The man who leads, wearing his garments of state, walks with a slight limp and has grown slow with age. But he hobbles in, followed by a woman who I assume must be his wife, and their hoard of children.

I boredly examine their faces, they are a handsome family, most of them with auburn or blond hair. But there is one, a girl who is of medium height, who sticks out from them all. Her skin is a shade of ivory, pure and soft-looking. Her lips, full and pouting. Her mane of dark curls tumbles down her back, with a crystal and amethyst headband on the top of her head, glittering amongst the dark of her curls. She wears a dress similar to that of her female kin, made of purple chiffon, flowing, unlike the stiff, long sleeved gowns that the women here wear. Her figure is womanly, yet she is still slim. But what captivates me the most about this girl is her eyes. Though they are cast down, it is hard to mistake, they are an entrancing shade of violet that I have never seen before. The light catches them for a moment as she dares herself to look up at me, and for that brief moment I feel a connection with her that I have never felt in my entire life. Not with anyone, not my mother, Margaery. Or even Sansa, the first time we met.

She is beautiful and she is pure.

And I want her more than I have ever wanted anyone in my life.

Ser Urbanos bows down to me when his family are in the centre of my floor, his family do likewise. The beautiful maiden dips into a dainty curtsey, not daring to look up again. It takes me a moment to find my voice, but I do. "Rise," I command. They do so, and the leader of their family, Ser Urbanos, steps forward. "Your Grace, it is an honour to step foot in your humble home." I nod, and I want to tell him to skip the formalities and introduce the girl already. But I know that I cannot, for my mother is beside me, and she tells me that he is an old friend of her's.

"You are most welcome here, Ser Urbanos. It has been many years, too many I think." I hear my mother's voice beside me, she has stood behind my throne without me realising. I pray that they will not chatter endlessly, i'm itching to know who the girl is.

A daughter?

No, she doesn't look like his wife or him. His other children are clearly his, and I notice that one of the other females present, dressed similarly to my beauty, although she wears pink, is rather ravishing too. Her hair is long and straight, auburn, around her neck are necklaces of pink topaz and diamond. She is tall and slender, and carries herself as if she is the Queen in this court. I raise my eyebrows to myself.

"Thank you, your grace. It has been too long. But we are here now, please allow me to introduce my family." I find that I am sitting up a bit in my seat, and give him my permission with a simple nod. It takes everything in my power to draw my gaze from the violet girl at the back of their group and focus on what he is saying.

The oldest female there steps forward, and curtseys deeply before me. "My wife, Lady Morgausa of House Oakheart." I give her a smile as she stares at me, then averts her gaze. "Your Grace," she barely whispers, and steps back. I tend to have that effect on people.

Next to be introduced is Kyro, Heir of Syrspear, a tall, broad man with blond hair and a friendly air. He bows deeply before me and gives the necessary "your grace."

He makes his way down the line, and I soon forget the names. Zach, Agathe, Jorje. Until finally it is the turn of his final companion. My violet lady comes forward and curtseys, almost touching the ground as Ser Urbanos introduces her. "And my niece, Arienne." Niece, that explains the lack of likeness. Before she can sink back, I start a conversation by saying "Lady Arienne, a beautiful name. Do you like my city, Lady Arienne?"

She blushes, as if taken off guard, but rises up and lifts her head, looking at me with those haunting violet eyes. "It is beautiful your grace, I was lucky enough to enter by the sea, I am told that this is the best way to enter King's Landing." I'm impressed that she hasn't answered me with a single syllable, as so many of the people here do. They're afraid of me. Good, they should be afraid.

But for some reason, I don't want her to be afraid of me.

"Whoever told you that was right. A beautiful Dornish lady in a beautiful city. How fitting." I smile at my little joke, as she blushes to a shade of beetroot, and steps back behind her family. Her cousin Agathe and aunt look furious that I have spoken to her. I can do what I like.

She seems to be pondering what I said to her, long after her family are dismissed and they leave the room. I watch as she disappears through the doors and turns her head, looking me in the eye for a moment. I want to get up and run to her, to kiss her.

But I am a King, the King. I can do anything I want, but I have rules.

Although, I have been known to break them.

I decide that I will see her again, soon, and turn to Margaery, who has been patiently standing beside me the entire time. I smile up at her, and she beams down. "My dear, perhaps you could find room for another lady in your retinue. Lady Arienne seems capable. You are to be a Queen now."

The poor girl doesn't seem to catch on, to understand that I am only offering a position to Arienne in order to have her stay here longer. That, or she is a brilliant actress. She gives me a smile, and it pains me to know that I no longer have the most beautiful woman in King's Landing to become my wife. "Of course, your grace." She replies smoothly.

I turn my head back, and continue on with the other matter's of the day.

But I cannot get Arienne out of my head.