AGNC: Chapter 4 |Making Favors

Start from the beginning

In the school parking lot, I put my phone back into my tote bag, while Nova grabbed hers and we climbed out the car. 

"Oh shit, You got the notes to Ferguson class?" Nova asked me as we walked through the double doors of the building. It was only a few minutes before the bell rang so I had to make sure I had enough time to go to my locker, grab my books and head to class. 

I sucked my teeth at her. "You was in class, why you ain't take notes?" I asked. We walked down the hall towards our locker with Tyrone trailing behind. We all had first period together and I was the only one that needed to stop at my locker so it made sense that we walked together. The rest of the day till lunch, we were split up. 

Approaching my locker, I did the combination, doing it twice. I could never get it right the first time. She leaned against the locker beside mine, scooping out the people that walked by. Tyrone had his back against the locker beside her watching our interaction. "You know he puts me to sleep. Besides he been ridin' me lately bout my grades and I know we got that quiz. I just need it to study till then."

I took out the necessary books, closing my locker back shut. "Please Cassy? I'll owe you." I rolled my eyes. "Fine." I dug into my bad pulling out my notes binder for his class and handed it to her. "You better be lucky I already studied. How you gonna get into college if you can't even take notes?"

"It's all part of a plan, just watch."

"What the four year drop-out plan?" Tyrone joked and I couldn't help but join in. 

Nova twisted her face. "Ha ha, Why you gotta dis me like that? No, that's not it. I do plan on going to College." Nova put my binder in her bag and we continued down the hall to class. "it's a good one too."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever you say." The first bell rung as we entered the class. I took a seat in my usual spot in the second row in the middle, Tyrone in the far corner and Nova in the back. Looking at how far spread we were, you wouldn't even guess that we were friends let alone known each other. Waiting on the rest of the kids to pile in the room, the second and final bell rung. The last student, Aspen rushed in taking an empty seat behind me. Our history teacher, Mr Kingston, strolled in closing the front door. He took a stand in front of his desk and smiled to the class, possibly affecting me and every other girl in the class.

"Damn," I heard Aspen whisper behind me and I couldn't agree more with her. For a teacher, Mr. Kingston was beyond fine. He was young chocolate, teacher with the face of model and hopefully the body of one too. He even made glasses look sexy. Today he had on a button up shirt, with a grey vest, matching grey pants and a red tie, fitting him perfectly.

My phone buzzed in my bag. I discreetly pulled it out, flipping it open underneath the desk.

Tyrone: I hate this guy 

I smiled in amusement. Tyrone swore up and down Mr. Kingston was the reason why he couldn't get one girl's attention in this class. He was completely right.  I typed LOL and closed my phone putting it back in my bag. If Mr. Kingston saw I was texting, he would have made me stand up and read it to the whole class. 

Mr. Kingston clasped his hands together. "Okay, we've been talking a lot about the 20th century. From World War I, impressionable pop culture, Jim crow laws and even the discovery of the deadly infection: AIDS. But today, Let's talk about the possiblities of the future. The year is ending in three months, so I think the topic is very appropriate for the final exam project." 

He walked behind his desk and grabbed a stack of papers from his desk drawer. "Mister Cole, pass this around the room please?" The white boy who sat in front of me stood up. He took a second to run his fingers down his braids and tugged on his long white tee but not before making sure his name plate belt was showing. I shook my head. This white boy was trying way too hard. Just cause Eminem can do it, he think he can too.