Allie

"I miss you," Spencer says from his hotel room in Phoenix. "I'm sorry that your plans got ruined. I really didn't expect to be out here this long."

I stare at his face on my screen and sigh. "Serial killers should take the week of your birthday off," I huff.

"Serial killers are so inconsiderate," Spencer jokes, trying to make me laugh.

I force a tiny smile. It would figure that he'd be on a case on his birthday. I really wanted to spend tonight together, and not over video chat.

"Guess what I found out today," My fiancé grins at me.

"Um... that you're not actually thirty-eight?" I raise an eyebrow at him.

"No," He chuckles. "I found out that I'm getting my own office. I sort of wish it was what you guessed, though. Thirty-eight is..." He blows out a sigh. "I don't know, I feel like I can see in my face—"

I shake my head at him and cut him off. "No, no way! Spencer, look at yourself. Look at how fucking good you look!"

The boy giggles and shakes his head.

"You do! Plus, your stamina is that of a twenty year old, so—"

He's quick to cut me off. "Okay!" Spencer's cheeks are tinted pink and he has a big smile plastered on his lips.

"I don't know how you do it," I tell him, earning a laugh. "Seriously! When I was using the strap, I felt like I was gonna keel over and die from thrusting like that."

I hear a faint knocking sound and Spencer tells me that someone is at his door.

"Hold on, Al." He sets the phone down on the bed and a few seconds later I hear what sounds like Emily's voice. When Spencer picks up the phone again, he's got an apologetic look on his face.

"You have to go," I say for him, letting out a sigh. "I get it."

He frowns. "I'm sorry."

I just shake my head. "Don't be, Spence. It's your job. I love you, okay? Happy birthday."

"Thanks, baby. I'll call you when I get back to my hotel, okay? I love you so much."

"I can't promise I won't be sleeping," I chuckle. "I love you, go save the world."

He says that he loves me once more before the call ends. I set my phone on the night stand and turn the lamp off before snuggling up under the blanket and trying to go to sleep.

I'm woken up at four-something in the morning by my phone ringing. When I finally register that I have to answer it to get the noise to stop, I do so without even looking at the caller I.D.

"Hello?" I ask, sitting up in bed to try and shake off my sleepy state.

"Allie, it's Emily. I know it's late, but... Spencer was injured in the field and he's in surgery," Emily's voice swims through my ear.

My heart drops when she says it. I immediately hop out of bed and start looking for pants and a bra to throw on. "He's hurt?"

"I don't have much information, but... I wanted to call you and suggest that you catch the soonest flight, just incase."

"Thank you," I tell her. "I'm getting dressed and then I'm gonna hop on the next flight out to Phoenix. Please, um, please keep me updated."

"I will," Emily tells me. "I'll see you soon."

When we hang up, I throw my clothes on faster than I think I've ever gotten dressed before. I shove my charger into my purse with my wallet and lock up the house before speeding to the airport like I'm in my own Fast and Furious film. Fast and Fucking Terrified.