"Doesn't make much difference now, does it?" Trumpkin remarked grumpily, making Catalina frown sorrowfully.

"Get us to the Narnians and it will." Peter responded steadily, as he rowed the six down the river.

They finally reached the shore and climbed out of the small boat. Peter offered Catalina a chivalrous hand out of the boat, which she gladly took, allowing herself to clutch to the High Kings hand as she gathered her dress and stepped out of the boat onto the rocky surface.

She stretched out her limbs as Peter and Edmund pulled the heavy boat onto land, so that Trumpkin could tie it down. Lucy had wandered off unbeknownst to the rest of the group.

Trumpkin suddenly swore loudly, "Don't move, your majesty!" He ordered, Catalina turned just in time to see a black bear charging towards Lucy, as the younger girl scurried backwards to the others in fright.

Susan put an arrow to the string of her bow but was hesitant to shoot. "Stay away from her!" She yelled, trying to avoid shooting the bear. Edmund looked around in panic as Peter drew his sword and getting ready to run forward, Catalina felt useless but all she could do was watch in horror.

"Susan, shoot!" The younger boy cried out, as the bear continued charging, Lucy screamed loudly and just before it reached her, an arrow lodged itself into the bears side and it fell over onto the rocky beach surface.

Catalina looked behind her to see that it was not Susan who'd fired but it was Trumpkin. "Why wouldn't he stop?" Edmund asked, Trumpkin grimaced and placed his bow down,

"He's a bear, he isn't supposed to stop." Catalina said softly. Things had obviously changed a lot since the Golden Age, she couldn't help but feel bad for the young Kings and Queens of Narnia who returned to a crumbled and defeated homeland.

"I expect he was hungry." The dwarf answered, ignoring Catalina's answer.

Susan, Peter and Edmund all ran to Lucy, while Catalina followed a small distance behind. Peter picked his sister off of the rocky ground. Edmund pointed his sword at the bear's body. "He was wild." The boy stated in disbelief.

Catalina joined the five's sides with a look of worry laced across her face. Peter held Lucy tightly, "I don't think he could talk at all." He added, his eyes wandering towards Catalina who frowned sympathetically.

Trumpkin sighed, "Get treated like a dumb animal long enough and that's what you become." He responded, drawing his knife. You may find Narnia a more savage place than you remember."

The dwarf roughly stabbed his hunting knife into the bears stomach, making Catalina turn her back to the morbid scene. The girl rubbed her temples in discomfort, her stomach churning at the sight while Lucy's soft cries echoed through everyone's mind.

 ☆