"Ah," I said, finally realizing. "Okay. I understand. I won't tell her."

A knock came at the door.

Seeing as Gretchen was still busy fixing Haley and Henry's mess, I began that way to answer it.

"Just know," I said before turning, "that I'm here to help if you ever need it."

He smiled. "Thanks, Alexa."

I flashed him a thumbs up before spinning around and opening the door.

Even though he had texted me a million times that he was still coming, I didn't quite believe it, though there was no denying it now that he was standing on my door step.

Jake gawked at me. "You look stunning."

I bit my lip. "You're just as fancy as me."

"Ah, but suits are a part of the job description. Seeing you in this gown is a treat I will very much savor," he winked.

I stared at him for the longest time, unable to register it all. "I didn't think you'd actually show," I admitted. "Especially after everything I said."

"I don't make a fool of myself in Saks Fifth Avenues for just anybody, Alexa."

I shook my head. "That's just it, Jake. I am anybody."

"Not in that dress you aren't."

"There's no way this is the hottest body you've seen," I muttered.

"That dress doesn't accentuate your fire body, Alexa," he said quietly. "It brings out your eyes. And your eyes are absolutely mesmerizing."

My cheeks went as red as Josh's, maybe even redder. Jake's flirting has always been so fun and casual before, like the words he uttered to every girl that snagged his attention, but this was different. This was sensual.

I didn't know what to think or feel. Or how to respond to his declarations. I couldn't get caught in another love triangle again. Especially when there was no feelings left up for debate. At least not in my buried heart.

Gretchen appeared behind me, thankfully saving me from any further stokes to the fire.

He smiled at me one last time to acknowledge that our one moment alone was over.

"Hey, Jake," she said brightly. "Nice to finally meet you outside of the disco lights."

He chuckled. "The same to you, Miss Gretchen. You seem a lot more like Zane's PA in this atmosphere."

She shrugged. "Fair enough. But Alexa is Zane's PA. I'm actually Ember's, though I've worked there long enough to be justified to make a claim to both."

"Ember Travis, you say?" He asked. "She's one of the fastest-climbing executives in her industry. I've never met her, but I'd be fascinated to know what she's like."

Gretchen and I shared a look. "No you wouldn't," we said in unison, before dissolving in laughter at the inside joke.

I grabbed Jake's arm and tugged him inside my penthouse. "I'll introduce you to the rest of the group before we leave."

Henry, Haley, and Josh all looked over at us when the door closed.

"Everybody," I declared. "This is Jake. He's a good friend of mine, and my date for the evening."

I neglected to mention his occupation. His ego was big enough as it was without me acknowledging his status too.

"Pleasure to meet you," he addressed warmly. As he walked over to shake their hands, anybody else would have missed him swooping down for a split second and whispering hotly into my ear, "we'll discuss that 'friend' comment later."