CHAPTER ONE

Jane

I'm finally sixteen. This was probably the best birthday ever. Life is just perfect for me right now.

I rearranged my dress, it's so pretty but it's a bit to big for me since i'm really skinny. I'm what people would call tall and lanky, and i truly do hate it.

All of a sudden my brother Mark rushed through the front door. Shouldn't he be at work right now, it's only five o'clock.

"Turn on the news!" he screamed.

"What?" My mom replied confused and scrambling to find the remote.

He ran to the remote and changed it to the news just to find out that it's on a commercial right now. I'm so confused what he means. After the commercial the news came back on.

"All minors report to your closest school!" the person on the news said.

"This is a national emergency!" he continued.

"What is this?" I asked my brother.

"I don't know but it seems serious." he replied.

My mom walked up and turned off the tv.

"I'm not letting some scam ruin your birthday sweetie." she exclaimed.

"We can handle all that tomorrow, after all your brother is here so we can have cake now!" my mom continued.

My mom is what you call a optimistic person. She doesn't even believe in reality some times. We all ate my birthday cake and were just about to watch a movie when all of a sudden there was a loud knock on the front door.

"OPEN UP! ARE THERE ANY MINORS IN YOUR HOUSE!" the person through the door screamed.

I stood up and slowly walked to the door. As I almost opened my mom screamed no.

"Don't open it! Don't let them ruin your birthday." she cried.

My brother pushed past me and opened the door. The guard grabbed his arm as soon as he saw him and he didn't even resist. The guard pointed to me and the other guard ran up and took my arm. I thought about running but that wouldn't do any good.

"Wait! Where are you taking them!" my mom shouted.

"IT'S A NATIONAL EMERGENCY! ALL MINORS MUST REPORT TO SCHOOLS IMMEDIATELY!" the guard holding me screamed.

They walked us outside and led us to a school bus with a bunch of other kids. People as young as little kids all the way to teenagers are in this bus and it's more than full.

Eventually after picking up some more people we made it to my school. It looked completely different even though I was just there a few weeks ago before summer break started. Now there are guards all outside my school and the school letters are even taken down.

We were all pulled outside the bus and formed into a line. No one was talking except for a few kids crying. Poor little kids getting taken from their parents. How is this even fair.

Once we made it to the school gym the guard pushed me to the right corner of the gym which has a sign saying "GIRLS AGE 12-17"

Everyone was sitting on the gym floor. I sat down by a random girl, even though this is my high school I don't recognize anyone here.

After what felt like forever people stopped arriving and a lady walked up to our corner followed by a guard.

"Hello everyone, I'm going to give you each a card and that will assign you to a specific classroom." she said smiling.

Why is she smiling? There is nothing happy about right now.

"If you don't go where you're assigned you'll be shot." she continued while still smiling.

All of us gasped at what she just said. How is that even legal I thought. You can't just kill innocent kids that's definitely not legal.

She walked over to each of us and handed us a card. There is probably like at least 100 people stuffed in this corner.

"NOW GO!" she screamed, she wasn't smiling anymore.

I got up and rushed to the classroom that was on my card. When I opened the door the guard motioned for me to sit in the back with everyone else. There were no desks, only rows and rows of chairs.

I looked around and realized I was in a classroom with no one I recognized at all. I sat down where I was supposed to and put my head down.

It felt like hours of sitting in that classroom although it was actually probably like 30 minutes or something. Finally another guard walked in and handed the guard watching us a piece of paper.

He read it and nodded. Then he turned to us.

"It's time!" he called.