[ˈtʃoʊzən]

Fuck this.

I look around at the few others that were chosen for today, them all looking scared for their futures as they stand in shackles. The room is cold and my body struggles to stand still with the inner panic I feel. If I could break these handcuffs I would. If I could run, I would.

This was like The Lottery in a way, that story by Shirley Jackson? We were those who were chosen to keep the peace. We were punished for the balance of livelihood. Without us, there would be mayhem. But how was this fair for us? We who had to suffer this fate so that those humans who had families and lives could still survive on their own, serving the demons and living their lives in the safety of their homes.

How this works is similar to a masquerade and an auction, The room is set up with men and women demons in masks, all chit chatting, drinking, living like royalty as they buy human lives and use them however they wish. Many are bought and die pretty fast, as some demons are sadistic and love having an option to kill with no repercussions. Many are bought and enslaved, whether it be sexual, maid, or otherwise. We, as the purchases, are dressed in the shade of white and cleaned up, made to look as perfect as possible to make us worth wanting.

Then we stay in our binds as we are put on a stage one by one, set up with strengths and weaknesses just so they can pick the perfect one for them

It's bullshit, to be sure.

Hopefully I'll get an absolute idiot that I can kill to get away from. I'll kill them or escape from them and find a way to send all of these bastards back to where they came from, do anything to get rid of them all.

A harsh push on my back brings me back to reality. I look up glaringly, my eyes pointing daggers at the smug, masked demon that was leading me to my fate. I was tempted to spit in his face, if that didn't mean I would automatically get punished for it. I wasn't willing to risk my possible escape for the satisfaction of that disrespect.

"Keep moving." He mutters out, the smirk residing on his lips making him look like an unbelievable target to hit. His shoulder length brown hair framed his narrow, pale face in a way perfect to give me great aim. If these chains didn't bind my hands...

I mutter out a "yes, sir." And keep walking forward. My body is in a basic white dress, it hugging every corner of my starved out frame. They put me in plain white heels, and put my hair up properly. It was almost degrading, the fact that they dress us so well just to end up as the scum of the earth once more. Well, it doesn't really matter anyway.

The same bastard as before quickly shoves my daydreaming self forward, me not realizing I was already at the corner. Oh fuck.

Before me was a dark, blue tinted room filled with demons. The demons were masked, each one having a different look and personality springing off of it. Their all dressed to the nines, this being a big event every year for these vile beings. A few look me over and lean forward in their seats, automatically taking interest. Beaming white lights shine over me as I stand at the center of a stage, feeling their glowing eyes run over my body.

"In her twenties, she holds a number of useful traits. She's very fit physically, as well as fit mentally. This one won't break too easily, so to speak.." I glare over at the presenter, letting out mumbled phrases of anger. She lets out a small chuckle, her eyes focused over the crowd. "She could prove very fun and very useful of a toy. Starting bid is..." I look away, my eyes pointed towards a distant wall as some of the little white boards pop up.

Is this the future my mother and father thought I'd have when they gave their lives to save me?

I don't think so.

"Going once..." I look up again, seeing some bastard with long blond hair holding his paddle up with a smug look on his face. God only knows what's going through his head.

"Going twice..." she states with hesitation, her face looking excited.

Just as the words fall out of her mouth, the dark wood doors slam open, and slow footsteps fill the room. "I'll bite.."

In the center of the room was a Demon who made all others tremble in their steps. He made all who stood before him feel fear. He destroyed the world from the light to rebuild it as his own in darkness.

Dark.

I let out a shuddered breath, the room becoming tense with his aura. The room quickly fell silent, and then filled with soft murmurs out of the Elites mouths. This aura felt so familiar, so annoyingly familiar as if it was in my dreams. It felt like I had met this overcast of shadows once before.

"O-oh my! What a special guest we have this year~!" The announcers voice is wavering in nervous, her eyes wider than they were before. Her scarlet red lips move quickly. "Top bid falls on our current and forever ruling King, Darkiplier!"

Nonononono.

This is not how it was supposed to go.

I was supposed to be able to get away somehow.

Not be trapped with the king of hell himself.

His eyes meet mine as he lifts a wine glass to his lips, taking a slow sip before letting out a small satisfactory 'hm' sound. "Let me guess...going once, going twice, sold?" He looks over the shocked crowd of demons, then he chuckles a bit while his black eyes feel like their digging into my soul. Yet, I can't look away, my eyes widened like a frightened deer.

"Exactly, my King~! I think its safe to say there is no competition!" Her voice quickly yells out, and the room fills with a sudden applause. Just like that, the same brown-haired bastard from before grabbed my wrists and started pulling me away from the stage. Dark turns slowly, a mischievous smirk staying on his lips as he turns to chat with one of the elitists beside him.

"Get your hands off of me!" I yell, trying my best to pull away from his tight grip. The room ignores my pleas, the applause continuing as they pull on the next poor person to suffer whatever fate they're served. I'm practically off the stage now but I keep pulling, wondering if there's anywhere I could go to get away. "Let me go!!" 

"Listen here." He hisses out, slamming me against the wall. I look up with a deep hatred, but say nothing. "You think I would let you go after the King has just purchased you? Do you think I have a death wish?"

"Do you think I do?" I mutter out, my eyes burning into him. He takes a moment, looking a small bit shocked at my response. But as soon as his shock appears, it dissipates, turning into a cold stare.

"I think you have no choice in the matter, no matter what wish you may have." And with that, he grabs my wrists again, dragging me down the hallway.