Part 9 - The Cornucopia

Start from the beginning

 A small note is attatched to the parachute. I pick it up with trembling hands and read it ;

DON'T DIE FOR ANYONE.

I know that it's from my mentor, Alius. Maybe he is trying to help me afterall. I spread some of the medicine on my heel and on my shoulder. I sigh in relief. The pain has almost vanished.

"Ok, Thresh. Looks like I've still got a bit of life in me. How many days have I been here? How many deaths has there been?"

"You've been unconsious for three days," Thresh says, almost immediately.

"The girl from District One and Four have both died. I don't know what has happened to the other Career's or Katniss."

"Ok." I sigh, and brace myself for my next question.

"Thresh... How much food have we actaully managed to save?"

Guilt spreads over the boy from 11's face.

"Almost nothing. A packed of barley sugar."

I can feel the dissapointment in my face, but quickly lighten up.

"You said before that you rescued the fishing net, right? Well, once the medicine kicks in, we could both go to the lake near the Cornucopia and fish there."

"Not a good idea," Thresh says.

"These games are worth the risk Thresh," I say.

"Without risk, I'd certainly be dead by now."

                                                                                  *****

The cut in my foot has been reduced to almost nothing; a scar. The tracker jacker mark has also vanished. The pain in my back is gone, though memories of my hallucinations still linger close. Tonight we need water. We've decided that for sure. Thresh insists that we follow the lake a bit further on, just in case the Careers come. I think he's just a bit of a worry wart, but I agreed.

The day is warm and sunny ( as the game-makers planned it ) and I sit wading in the small pond near our hideout. Sure, it's quite filthy, but it's my first shower in ages. Thresh fleft his iodine in my pack, which is beyond our clutches. So we are forced to move on.

The sun is setting, and my stomach growls. I tell myself to be patient, to wait. Food will be coming tomorrow, when I steal from the Cornucopia once more.

I wonder when I last had a hot meal. Was it at the Capitol? I think so. We seldom had hot meals in District 5. We were given cans of corn and peas from the peace keepers. And me, who was often in the streets because of my lack of finance, was given almost nothing. Only the 'rich' people in out district could buy sweets and such.

I firm hand touches me on my shoulder; as a reaction from my past, I flinch, but look behind me.

"It's time," Thresh says, his warm eyes locked into mine.

I drag my feet out of the water, roll down the leg of my trousers and tie up my boots. Thresh holds my hand as we sneak away from the field.

We make our way quietly down the hill, where the Cornucopia still gleams in the little sunlight we have. I can see small figures next to a fire, the Careers. They're bodies are slumped and I can see Clove throwing one of her knives at an animal in a tree, probably a bird.

I am reassured that the Careers arent paying much attention to their surroundings.

I let go of Thresh's hand as we break through the forest. I have told him in every way possible how to stay quiet, and order him to follow me from a ten metre distance as a precaution. The river lies a few metres ahead, and I quicken my pace.